Replacing Ashford 30 Stove suggestions?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
First fire of the season today in the T6. It was 42ºF outside and the house was 68º. This was a 3 split fire on a pile of splitter trash. The stove cruised at 400º stove top. I added another split after about an hour, stovetop maxed out at 450º. Room temp got up to 71ºF. By then the sun came out. I threw in a few more handfuls of splitter trash (we have a lot) around noon. Overheating was a non-event.
I'd love to have our house at 71. As soon as stove weather is here the wife demands 75 to 78 in the main living area! I wear shorts and a tee shirt all winter and she is still in flannel with a blanket. Lol. Funny thing is is that before we bought this house and got indoor wood heat we never let the previous house get warmer than 70 and the night time set back was 64. Never a complaint from her.

Reactions: Woody Stover
So 3 o’clock on an ashford is like medium output from this 3 cubic foot stove
This statement made me toss and turn last night. I believe this has been talked about in the BK thread but everyone's 3 O'clock is probably different. 3 is where I can consistently run without stalling the cat. Thinking back I probably would have turned it down more at times given the option but my shorter stack doesn't allow that. I have also been reading thru older threads about over or under sizing stoves and there are great opinions on each side. Right now I feel like I'm in the camp of a T5 knowing that through out the day I will be putting in a few more splits but probably not relighting just being consistent as opposed to a small hot burn, letting things cool down and then relighting later.

I'm sure I'll flip back and fourth a few more times before I finally make a final decision. You guys are great. I really appreciate the input..

This statement made me toss and turn last night. I believe this has been talked about in the BK thread but everyone's 3 O'clock is probably different. 3 is where I can consistently run without stalling the cat. Thinking back I probably would have turned it down more at times given the option but my shorter stack doesn't allow that. I have also been reading thru older threads about over or under sizing stoves and there are great opinions on each side. Right now I feel like I'm in the camp of a T5 knowing that through out the day I will be putting in a few more splits but probably not relighting just being consistent as opposed to a small hot burn, letting things cool down and then relighting later.

I'm sure I'll flip back and fourth a few more times before I finally make a final decision. You guys are great. I really appreciate the input..

Sorry to keep you up all night! The dial only goes to 6 o’clock. Every install is different...somewhat.

For another point of reference, I too run a short stack @12'. 3'oclock is about as low as I can go without stalling. On the flip side I can run wide open and barely, if ever, get to 800F on the flue temp. Installs and fuel types are different for everyone so it's nearly impossible to compare one to another.

Different across bk stove models too.

I suppose the point is that the t5 can replicate the average output of the ashford with more reloads than the t6. We know you’re dumping the ashford.

Why not use your tape measure to compare the firebox size as well as the physical size of the stove, then recall what stove top temperatures you need to get your home to the temperature you want. Go from there. Easy peasy. I've done this twice now to confirm 2 used stoves I've bought were too big...and discovered they are in fact too big. Luckily they were too big! I can build a smaller fire, but I can't build a big fire in a stove that's too small...which is what you don't want. The goal here is to get a stove you can run in the mid range for most of your heating degree days...which you can google. You will rarely run out of stove. However, as some have suggested a bigger stove altogether eliminates ever needing a bigger stove. The down side is trying to use it too low, for too often, and causing a chimney full of creosote because you're always running it low.

Either try and calculate a stove for medium burn on most days, or learn to build short hot fires in a big stove and deal with the heat cycles. You have far less heat cycling with a stove running in the mid-range to heat your home. Only way to avoid this is another stove with another thermostat...another BK, or a DS Machine, or Harmon (nothing current that I know of), or a Vermont Castings which most people are not suggesting these days. The Quadra-fire Adventure Series would have been great, but no longer made...plus computer controlled and just a headache for those not wanting to rely on electricity. Maybe there are some I missed.

Heck, show her a Drolet/Osburn stove or a Regency. The new Regency's look very promising. Just remember these run manually.

As for the first part of my post...
Two stoves running at the same temp, but of different sizes, will heat a room differently based entirely on physical size and perhaps similar weight...all else being equal. Generally the bigger stove will put of more heat...all else being near equal. Steel thickness can play a part, as can heat shields, brick lined, etc., but don't worry too much about that. Just compare what is alike, the size, firebox size and what you can. It can and will get you close. The first determination is whether the room is normally too hot or too cold.

Last edited:
Interesting events today. The factory support at Blaze King has tried to help a fair bit but our actual install dealer has been anything but helpful. Let's just say that we aren't the best of friends since the install. Out of the blue the main person we had been dealing with at the stove shop called to make sure the new gasket and shims were still holding up. Once told that we were pulling it we very shortly got a call from the actual owner who I have had obvious issues with. He pretty much begged to come out this weekend?? to look at it. Says he has some ideas that have helped others. I'm not expecting much but as the wife says it isn't costing us anymore to listen. Weird since he hasn't stepped foot in the house since the initial quote. Stay tuned I guess.

Interesting events today. The factory support at Blaze King has tried to help a fair bit but our actual install dealer has been anything but helpful. Let's just say that we aren't the best of friends since the install. Out of the blue the main person we had been dealing with at the stove shop called to make sure the new gasket and shims were still holding up. Once told that we were pulling it we very shortly got a call from the actual owner who I have had obvious issues with. He pretty much begged to come out this weekend?? to look at it. Says he has some ideas that have helped others. I'm not expecting much but as the wife says it isn't costing us anymore to listen. Weird since he hasn't stepped foot in the house since the initial quote. Stay tuned I guess.
Just remember, you can get more done with grace than you can with grump. Give them a chance and then move up the ladder.

Just remember, you can get more done with grace than you can with grump. Give them a chance and then move up the ladder.
Ohh I've been very polite. I have never said a bad word or even raised my voice. I have maintained that the install was not very professional and resolved those issues myself. I was laughed out of the place thou with some of my suggestions, such as please come experience the smell yourself. Swap the stove with your floor model to either blame my set up or rule it out, have a wee bit of compassion for the family breathing this all winter. You know, stuff like that. He has called me a pain in the ass so I know where I stand with him. As I said. not expecting much. We'll see..

Reactions: Hoytman
I think the top of the ladder may have given the owner a call. Hope this can be resolved soon.

I think the top of the ladder may have given the owner a call. Hope this can be resolved soon.

My thoughts exactly. Bad press for the manufacturer can have results that come .... out of the blue.

Reactions: begreen
Ohh I've been very polite. I have never said a bad word or even raised my voice. I have maintained that the install was not very professional and resolved those issues myself. I was laughed out of the place thou with some of my suggestions, such as please come experience the smell yourself. Swap the stove with your floor model to either blame my set up or rule it out, have a wee bit of compassion for the family breathing this all winter. You know, stuff like that. He has called me a pain in the ass so I know where I stand with him. As I said. not expecting much. We'll see..
That's awful. You spend thousands of dollars at their business, and they have the gall to laugh at you? I'm sorry, that's just plain wrong

I have been wondering if you had an update on how this went down?

...Any thoughts on the concept that a jammed T5 won't heat us out and be more efficient then a jammed T6 causing to much heat and causing opened windows like with the ashford during the char process?
Yikes if you were overheating just by the (relatively very short) BK charring process then your btu requirement must be pretty low... to answer this question above I’d say definitely the T5... and cross your fingers it doesn’t cook you out. To burn cleanly in it you will be definitely pumping out more heat then any BK on low. Too bad the princess won’t fly, but it is a big stove too so I get it.

Interesting, thinking about the 2' vs. 3' box. It got me wondering weather one could keep feeding a few splits several time during the day, and by bedtime have a big, deep coal bed built up in the box that would burn all night without roasting the space. Obviously you could build a bigger coal bed in the 3' box, but I could build up a pretty big one in my SIL's T5, having seen the stove close up..
Yikes if you were overheating just by the (relatively very short) BK charring process then your btu requirement must be pretty low... to answer this question above I’d say definitely the T5... and cross your fingers it doesn’t cook you out.
Yeah, I'd think the T5 would be plenty, since it's a "fairly tight house now."
And you'll never tire of looking at the enamel. >>

It’s a tough choice. I too have a 3 cf bk in just 1700 sf and if I were to switch to a noncat then it would most likely be a t5 or t6.

Just in case you want to see a T5 an and Ashford side by side.

Attachments

• 61D6AEA5-A364-40AF-A0C5-F452FA2DFC3F.jpeg
    61D6AEA5-A364-40AF-A0C5-F452FA2DFC3F.jpeg
    150.7 KB · Views: 148
  • B8E4E30E-C9EE-4ACC-A98F-94F70C52850D.jpeg
    B8E4E30E-C9EE-4ACC-A98F-94F70C52850D.jpeg
    155.8 KB · Views: 139
Reactions: Highbeam
I have been wondering if you had an update on how this went down?
Spent 2plus hours here going over the stove cold and then when hot. No suggestions no nothing. Just said try burning a few splits at a time and maybe try not engaging the cat.
When I asked if he’s had any other customers with this problem he said he’s not sure. Apparently he stopped carrying Blaze King products at the end of 2018????

Anyway, onwards and upward. Picked up a T5. Couldn’t refuse the price. It was a floor model but never been burned in. It was manufactured in Nov of 18 and is the D series. Couldn’t turn down the cash and carry price.

Once I get the learning curve over with I’ll post a comparison.
Thanks to all for the help and input.

Reactions: Highbeam
Spent 2plus hours here going over the stove cold and then when hot. No suggestions no nothing. Just said try burning a few splits at a time and maybe try not engaging the cat.
When I asked if he’s had any other customers with this problem he said he’s not sure. Apparently he stopped carrying Blaze King products at the end of 2018????

Anyway, onwards and upward. Picked up a T5. Couldn’t refuse the price. It was a floor model but never been burned in. It was manufactured in Nov of 18 and is the D series. Couldn’t turn down the cash and carry price.

Once I get the learning curve over with I’ll post a comparison.
Thanks to all for the help and input.

Hm, that is a disappointing attitude of that person. I hope you can sell the BK, and that the T5 will meet the needs and get you warm soon!

Hm, that is a disappointing attitude of that person. I hope you can sell the BK, and that the T5 will meet the needs and get you warm soon!
Thanks. Trying to learn the T5 as we speak. Very warm!

Definitely smaller. Makes the stove pipe look huge.

I just stumbled upon this thread. How has the T5 been working for you this winter?