Replacing Black Bear w/pellet stove ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

FWest

Jan 8, 2007
Maine
Hello, we have decided to replace our wood stove with a pellet stove.

After looking around online, it seems our hearth may be an issue. It's brick, 15.5 ft long 5.5 ft tall but only 27 inches deep. The outlet is in the brick 45 inches from the base.

I have not seen a model that is made like our old Jotul F 118 ie- long and narrow. Unfortunately our living room is long and narrow as well and I'm hoping we don't need to install anything sticking out beyond the brick.

I plan on visiting a dealer or 2 but would like to know if there are any models that would allow me to use the area we have. I did see the wiseway but looks like it wants to be on a 31 in. deep base and not sure my wife will be willing to start it.

Thanks, FWest

mtnbiker727

Burning Hunk
Mar 11, 2019
PA
Hello, we have decided to replace our wood stove with a pellet stove.

After looking around online, it seems our hearth may be an issue. It's brick, 15.5 ft long 5.5 ft tall but only 27 inches deep. The outlet is in the brick 45 inches from the base.

I have not seen a model that is made like our old Jotul F 118 ie- long and narrow. Unfortunately our living room is long and narrow as well and I'm hoping we don't need to install anything sticking out beyond the brick.

I plan on visiting a dealer or 2 but would like to know if there are any models that would allow me to use the area we have. I did see the wiseway but looks like it wants to be on a 31 in. deep base and not sure my wife will be willing to start it.

Thanks, FWest
Can you post a picture of what you have?

FWest

Jan 8, 2007
Maine
hearth.jpg

Reactions: Washed-Up

johneh

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2009
Eastern Ontario
They make stoves that are only 24 in. deep but you still need room for the smoke pipe
you are not going to find a stove to fit that tight of an area. you will need at least another
8 to 10 in. of a hearth . I wish you luck

EbS-P

Minister of Fire
Jan 19, 2019
SE North Carolina
I keep seeing this model from US Stove…… it’s not something I would want but it might fit. What is your main reason to switch to pellets?

FWest

Jan 8, 2007
Maine
I keep seeing this model from US Stove…… it’s not something I would want but it might fit. What is your main reason to switch to pellets?

Main reason is to skip the work and mess associated with firewood. Also some health reasons.

My buddy has that stove and likes it but he is also home, retired. I doubt my wife will want to fool with a propane torch or heat gun to start it.

I may end up expanding the brick if no other unit will work in the original space.

Thanks for the input folks.

FWest

Reactions: EbS-P

EbS-P

Minister of Fire
Jan 19, 2019
SE North Carolina
Main reason is to skip the work and mess associated with firewood. Also some health reasons.
So my parents have a pellet stove. Definitely less messy and the thermostat on/off is nice. Since venting the pellet stove is much easier than a wood stove is relocating to a different location an option?
Evan

FWest

Jan 8, 2007
Maine
So my parents have a pellet stove. Definitely less messy and the thermostat on/off is nice. Since venting the pellet stove is much easier than a wood stove is relocating to a different location an option?
Evan

My intention was to use the chimney for the vents. Room not really suitable for another location and what to do with 15 ft of hearth ??:eek:

Reactions: EbS-P

mtnbiker727

Burning Hunk
Mar 11, 2019
PA
Well, it would look goofy, and you'll end up with two 90s in your pipe, but you could put a pellet stove in there sideways. The Harman P68 is 23 1/2 inches wide at the widest point. The Harman Allure50 is 21 1/4 inches at the widest point...