Replacing burn tubes in Jotul 600

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Do you actually need to replace it with a new one, or can you just slide the old one back into place? Did something warp, crack, etc. to allow the tube to fall out? you might just try to slide it back into place and align it the best you can and see what happens. If it seems too loose to stay in place it might be possible to use a vise to slightly ovalize one end of the tube to get a tighter fit when you put it back in place. If you go that route I'd be very careful and go in slow steps so you don't ruin the tube. I have no idea if the tube will bend a bit or crack, so be warned I'm just brainstorming here. I actually have an F600 stove myself.

I'd try to slide it in place too.
Do you actually need to replace it with a new one, or can you just slide the old one back into place? Did something warp, crack, etc. to allow the tube to fall out? you might just try to slide it back into place and align it the best you can and see what happens. If it seems too loose to stay in place it might be possible to use a vise to slightly ovalize one end of the tube to get a tighter fit when you put it back in place. If you go that route I'd be very careful and go in slow steps so you don't ruin the tube. I have no idea if the tube will bend a bit or crack, so be warned I'm just brainstorming here. I actually have an F600 stove myself.
Thanks Nick Mystic, I just replaced that whole assembly two years ago and have been very careful about over firing, tried slipping that pipe back in and it fell out again. After the cold weather passes I will take out the who pipe assembly and upper baffles and see what it is up. Kind of annoying to have these parts warp so easily, they are not cheap, and my gut feeling is that is what has happened.

I had the same thing happen with my F600. One tube fell out, and for a while I would stick it back in when the stove was cooler.
Had a person who was doing some interior work in my house and he was loading the stove, and all the tubes fell out.
I ended up replacing the entire assembly. Since it was near the end of burning season I just kept burning without the tubes. Seemed to work fine.
I believe what happened is that I was a little rough when loading the stove over time, and bumping the tubes with the wood.Since replacing the upper assembly I have been very careful not to have the wood contact the burn tubes ever. Have not had a problem since.

Reactions: jotulguy