replacing corner pre-fab unit - need solid advice!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

inatightspot

Nov 7, 2008
Eastern PA
My husband and I have a 1900 sq. ft. two story home and we are looking to replace our pre-fab fireplace with something wood burning that will heat at least our first floor 24/7 without using any oil. Because the inside height of the actual firebox is less than 16'' we cannot put in an insert. We are trying to avoid knocking down the entire corner wall in order to keep the mantle that my husband and father built. We can rip the whole fireplace out, but then we are trying to figure out our options. We'll have a big open space, so can we...
A. put in an insert without doing anything to the space behind
B. somehow fireproof the space behind and then put in an insert
C. somehow fireproof the space behind and place a free standing stove partially into the opening

Right now we have a 25" hearth of ceramic tile over regular plywood which can be expanded somewhat, but not too far because we are dealing with a door and a main traffic area. Our current chimney is stainless steel- we think 6", so we're not sure if that will need to be changed or not.

The "advice" from the people we have talked to at the stores we have visited has not inspired much confidence on our end, so I thought maybe we could get some soild answers here! Thanks so much!

Laura

Attachments

• fall08 244.jpg
    fall08 244.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 204
Sorry you haven't had an answer, I have a similar question about an insert. Good luck, hope advice comes.

That is a dilemma. I had to take out my homemade mantel, it took me a few years to get up the gumption to do it. But I don't see a lot of alternatives for this location due to the doorway.

My first approach was to consider something like a Hearthstone Homestead or maybe a Jotul or Castine in front. But the door and traffic present an issue. However, the Castine could get away with a flush hearth extension. But there will still be a clearance to combustibles issue with the mantel.

If this is the best location, then perhaps the best solution for good heat is to take out everything and put a close clearance freestanding stove in place of the current fireplace. But let's see what others have to say.

Thanks so much for responding! We were just at another store this weekend and he felt that our only two options (without ripping the walls down) were...
A pellet insert
A zero clearance EPA approved fireplace

the only fireplace that didn't seem to need a 60" clearance to combustibles was a catalytic from Vermont Castings.

We are really at a loss to know what will be the most cost effective/ heat producing option

Well, as far as the gas goes, we don't have a gas line here- so that's not an option. We know that the pellet stove will require far less destruction/ reconstruction, but we're just a little nervous about spending so much money and the being locked into buying pellets. I also wanted to check the posts and see if someone has a similar EPA approved fireplace- I'm nervous about the catalytic feature and also the noise level of the blowers (the ones on our pre-fab are very loud!).
Thanks again for your continued advice- the calculator will be very helpful!

Sorry about the gas suggestion, I cross posted after looking up a gas insert for another posting. :red:

The pellet option does sound the least intrusive. Some pellet stoves are noisy too, so listen to them in operation at multiple fan speeds first. The Quadrafire Mt. Vernon AE is an attractive stove and pretty quiet at all but the highest speeds.

Ripping out the old mantel and corner wall, while painful because of the labor that went into the mantel, is not that big a deal. It could be done in a few hours with the right tools. This would allow you to install a close clearance stove in the corner that could look great. It could even have a perimeter mantel up a little higher. Just a thought as you are weighing options.

If you decide to get a new zero-clearance fireplace, how did they plan on the removal and replacement? Through the exterior wall?

I believe they (or we) would "carefully" remove the existing tile/ mantle and then they would work from the inside. The tile we can replace with something else, but is it even possible to disassemble then reconstruct the mantel... mmm I'm not sure. But, you feel the heating ability would be the same for pellets vs the fireplace? From what I've read the efficiency ratings are about equal- that's an accurate evaluation?

They are very different types of heat. A pellet stove is a miniature wood furnace. It is a complex machine that blasts air under the pellets which are steadily fed into the fire. The fire is visually less appealing than a wood fire and tends to be more steady state, kind of like a blowtorch. That said, pellet stoves generally are more efficient and burn cleaner than almost all wood stoves. And they are much more convenient. They can be put on a digital thermostat so that the stove is warming the house shortly before you wake up. It's really nice to come down to a warm stove in the living room. Some of the best are pretty quiet and do a reliable job of heating.

The wood fire is probably going to have more reserve horsepower for those really cold days. It will be a visual treat and if you have cheap or free wood available it's going to cost a lot less to burn. It will also burn when the power is out (though some pellets stoves can be set up for battery backup) and will be lower maintenance than a pellet stove. However, wood is messier, requires human starting and regulation, and more physical work. But there are a lot of us that view this as a form of exercise and don't mind this part.

Status
Not open for further replies.