Replacing damper handle/lever

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sbtm

May 31, 2018
CO
I just bought a 1960's house with a wood burning fireplace. The previous owners had fires all the time, but the damper arm was removed and the damper plate was flopped backwards and always open.

I am looking for what type of damper lever is required, below are pictures of the damper. The brackets are on the right hand side of the trapezoidal damper. The fixed bracket has the screw sitting in it (screw is not part of the mechanism obviously) is on the bottom (back wall of fire box, right below the throat.)

I have also attached a pic of damper levers sold by Rockford Chimney Supply. The "Right hand style" jumped out at me but i have no idea.

Thanks
Dylan
IMG_20180531_151204.jpg IMG_20180531_151227.jpg damper-handles-all-names.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
To be clear, the damper is hinged at the bottom, the opening would be at the top of both photos

To be clear, the damper is hinged at the bottom, the opening would be at the top of both photos
None of those posted are right those are for traditional cast dampers used in masonry fireplaces. You have a heat form the handle will be specific to the brand you have. Try getting a sweep out they may be able to locate one or have one made

The fire box is a steel lined, but the rest is brick. I looked all over, didn't see any branding. The operation I am looking for is simple enough, all the way open or all the way closed. I may end up just making something myself

Thanks
Dylan

The fire box is a steel lined, but the rest is brick. I looked all over, didn't see any branding. The operation I am looking for is simple enough, all the way open or all the way closed. I may end up just making something myself

Thanks
Dylan
Yes i know what it is. It is called a heat form. The handle for yours is usually a peice of about 1/8"flat stock with a hole in the top and a slot in the bottom. It would not be hard to make one especially if you had one to take measurments off of. Which a sweep should be able to find.

Reactions: sbtm