replacing existing stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks to all the help and guidance of the hearth community, I replaced the old rusty/crusty chimney pipe (Dura Plus HT) with Sellkirk Supervent 6" and double wall connector pipe. The new system is roughly 21' from flue collar to raincap, with an elbow offset for joist clearance. Fairly straightforward install; as the holes in the floor/roof were already there and well oversized from the old pipe vs. the new stuff. Due to the oversized holes, I positioned the ceiling support so the trim plate would cover up the opening, knowing it would position the stove out a little further from the wall than the minimum spec. In the end, I still have over 20" of hearth in front of the firebox and I've well exceeded minimum clearances even from the bricks. On the outside, I extended the stack about 3' higher than it was previously and added the roof support bracket.
As these projects go, I was planning to simply 'swap out' a stove. In reality the scope of this got larger and it cost more and took much longer than I wanted it to, but it is done right and I know what I'm working with now.

Now I'm finishing up the walls to enclose the pipe where it passes through a closet on the second floor. Once that is complete, I'll be ready for the first fire.
But for now, its "installed enough" for pictures....

Thanks again to everyone for the advice! More pictures and test drive impressions to come.

Attachments

• replacing existing stove
    t5-2.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 106
  • replacing existing stove
    t5-4.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.