Replacing firebrick with soapstone?- Lopi Revere

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

burninIowa

Nov 8, 2007
E Iowa
I've had a Lopi Revere insert for a year now, and have been very happy. However, I'd like to extend the effective heating time by replacing the OEM firebrick with soapstone bricks fabricated to the same size.

Any thoughts pro or con?

Would not advise doing this as soapstone has completely different properties then ceramic brick. Since it was not tested this way It would also void your warranty.

Lopi uses heavy masonry brick which is heavier and holds more heat than most others that use light weight pumic brick.

Gary Webster

I completely agree with gawebster. Why not add some large and attractive pieces of soapstone in the immediate vicinity of the insert and just allow it to warm and add thermal mass.

Status
Not open for further replies.