Replacing Old Wood Stove-Finished!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! My first post, but I have been lurking for about a week. So happy to find this forum.

We are finally replacing our old Firelite wood stove in 2 weeks. I will post a before picture now (and add the after pictures when our new Country Stove Striker S160 is installed.

A little background.
My husband and his brother DIY installed the Firelite themselves in the early 80s when my husband bought the house from an estate.

After reading here, I am thankful we haven't burned our home down.

In addition to the new stove, we are having Desert Rose River Rock put behind the stove over new hardybacker board, tile on the hearth with the RR around the edge, and 18" tile in front of the hearth (replacing the current carpet). Our hearth wasn't legal either (not enough front clearance).

This will be professionally installed with new chimney pipe, etc. I have worried myself sick over this old stove and chimney too many winters---but nothing like since I have read here!! No more fires until the new one is installed.

Here's the old Firelite, hearth and back walls and our wood shed.

Attachments

• Wood Stove (Before).jpg
    Wood Stove (Before).jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 3,868
  • Wood Shed.JPG
    Wood Shed.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 3,038
CountryGal,........welcome to the forums.

Thanks for posting the pics of your stove and wood shed. Please keep us posted on your progress, we love to see these pics ! :)

I bet you have to watch out for the snakes around your wood pile don't you ?

Robbie.

Robbie said:
CountryGal,........welcome to the forums.

Thanks for posting the pics of your stove and wood shed. Please keep us posted on your progress, we love to see these pics ! :)

I bet you have to watch out for the snakes around your wood pile don't you ?

Robbie.

Robbie, thanks for the welcome! Yes, we have had a few rattlesnakes here over the years! I have some great pictures of one that was on our front porch one year. Yikes!

Attachments

• Rattlesnake.JPG
    Rattlesnake.JPG
    7.1 KB · Views: 2,619
Starting with an empty hearth, shot of the old wood stove. Next removing the stove pipe. Notice that Alex and Manuel put down heavy moving blankets to make sure my living room carpet was protected. I'm already more than pleased! My next post will scare the living daylights out of everyone!

Attachments

• 100_0163.JPG
    100_0163.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 2,373
  • 100_0164.JPG
    100_0164.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 2,303
Can you say only an angel has kept our home from burning down? This is the chimney pipe they pulled out of my home. My heart is pounding!!

Attachments

• 100_0165.JPG
    100_0165.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 2,366
Paul just got home and I showed him the chimney pipe. He calmly said something about good thing we are replacing it and haven't burned it this year. I realize that he doesn't get as excited as I do (read: PANIC!!) because he's been in the back seat of an F14 when an engine was on fire---but come on!

CountryGal said:
Can you say only an angel has kept our home from burning down? This is the chimney pipe they pulled out of my home. My heart is pounding!!
HOLY CHIT ! An angel is right , maybe two.

Roospike said:
CountryGal said:
HOLY CHIT ! An angel is right , maybe two.

I have three angels:

My mother
My father
My sister

DonCT said:
All I can say is WOW!!!!!

Thank God you are replacing it!!!

Keep the pics coming! You've got a good start!! :)

Will do more pictures tomorrow. The guys left and will be back at 10am. They got a late start today because they were sent out on an emergency stove repair so they didn't actually get here until about 2ish. They stuffed insulation up inside the stove pipe hole in the ceiling before they left so we don't get lots of cold air coming in tonight.

New triple wall pipe is installed and they hauled away the old stuff after I snapped the picture.

What a deathtrap! And to think I have slept downstairs in this house for years in the winter with a fire going.

Now that my heart has calmed back down, I am looking forward to the river rock and hearth tile and our new stove.

WOW!!
I'd say those three angels had a full time job looking out over that one.
Great pictures, keep em coming.

Putting the river rock on the back corner walls and the edge of the hearth. New tile will go on the hearth floor and the floor in front of the hearth.

Attachments

• 100_0167.JPG
    100_0167.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 1,320
Looking great :)
Maybe a stupid question, but are those real rocks or the cast ones you can buy?

It's a manufactured stone (Coronado stone products) but looks and feels like real stone. The stone I picked was Desert Rust.

It is coming along--one wall finished; edge of hearth done. Finishing up the second wall. I'll shoot/post another picture when they
are finished. I don't think they will get to the tile today, but I could be wrong.

From the picture you could have fooled me, it looks real! I have an existing masonary fireplace with a brick surround that I would love to change; not a big fan of the brick they used. I am going to put an insert in this year, so rock may not be the best choice to work with the surround for the insert. I really like that look though.

They just knocked off for the day but most of the river rock has been put up. Grouting the river rock and putting the tile down tomorrow I assume.

It has already brought so much more light into the living room. I hope I am not boring everyone. :)

Attachments

• 100_0168.JPG
    100_0168.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 2,359
Thanks Don!

Our house is rustic. A few pictures so you get the feel of the real 'boonies':

View from the corrals, view from the house, the house on the butte.

Attachments

• House & Butte.JPG
    House & Butte.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 1,042
  • From the House 12-24-05.JPG
    From the House 12-24-05.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 1,047
  • Front.JPG
    Front.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 1,068
Status
Not open for further replies.