Replacing the fans on a Quadra-Fire 3100 ACT

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DaveInPhilly

Jun 29, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
So my old Quad heats like a champ but the blower fans have become incredibly loud. The previous owner attached them to a light switch dimmer and the dimmer has to be set above a certain point for the fans to actually start spinning, but its hard to figure out what that point is because there is a loud hum even when the fan doesn't spin, but that's another issue altogether.

Anyway, I'm thinking about replacing them. They appear to be standard computer fans, but I wonder if there is anything special about them because of the heat they have to withstand. The Quadra-Fire part includes the fans, back plate and power cord and costs ~$500. I have found the fans themselves for ~$40 each. But there are plenty of fans that same size that are significantly cheaper.

Anyone ever tried to replace one of these? Is it worth the time and expense or am I just be wasting effort?