Replacing Wood Stove with Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Pabst

Jan 14, 2019
New York
We're looking into replacing our Jotul F3 Wood stove with either a new wood stove or a freestanding fireplace. The Jotul simply doesn't do the job heating up a fairly large room with cathedral ceilings.The room it is in is a living room on our upper level that is mostly used for hosting friends or reading. We like the idea of having a fireplace rather than a stove for ambiance but having better heat wouldn't hurt. The problem is that building a fireplace is going to cost us a fortune to install and finish. We like the idea of having a fireplace but building one is going to cost a fortune. We saw the attached freestanding fireplace in an Ethan Allen Catalog and so far no one can tell us who makes it. Wondering if anyone here knows where it was manufactured? It seems like it might do what we want - provide the fireplace ambiance but throw off heat when we're using that room in the winter.

Alternatively, we're also thinking of a Stovax Studio 2 or a Cheminees Philippe Radiante 700 but it seems they may not be sold in the US? I've also attached a picture of our current Jotul and Hearth.

Thanks,

Dale

Attachments

• FreestandingFireplace.png
    FreestandingFireplace.png
    1 MB · Views: 386
  • Stove - Current Jotul.jpg
    Stove - Current Jotul.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 387
We're looking into replacing our Jotul F3 Wood stove with either a new wood stove or a freestanding fireplace. The Jotul simply doesn't do the job heating up a fairly large room with cathedral ceilings.The room it is in is a living room on our upper level that is mostly used for hosting friends or reading. We like the idea of having a fireplace rather than a stove for ambiance but having better heat wouldn't hurt. The problem is that building a fireplace is going to cost us a fortune to install and finish. We like the idea of having a fireplace but building one is going to cost a fortune. We saw the attached freestanding fireplace in an Ethan Allen Catalog and so far no one can tell us who makes it. Wondering if anyone here knows where it was manufactured? It seems like it might do what we want - provide the fireplace ambiance but throw off heat when we're using that room in the winter.

Alternatively, we're also thinking of a Stovax Studio 2 or a Cheminees Philippe Radiante 700 but it seems they may not be sold in the US? I've also attached a picture of our current Jotul and Hearth.

Thanks,

Dale
If you want heat an open fireplace freestanding or built is not the way to go they provide little to no heat. Many times they actually take heat out of the house

that fireplace looks like something put in a room with zero intent to use, only there for the look. I agree that a fireplace is probably the least effective way to heat with wood, perhaps a bigger wood stove is in order but a fireplace is just gonna chew through your wood and send most of the heat from it out through the chimney

Reactions: ShawnLiNY
Pabst , are you looking to provide heat at times you are not entertaining? If so you would benefit from placing a stove on a lower level since you have cathedral ceilings in your current living rooms

Thanks for your feedback - it definitely seems like that particular fireplace favors form over function.

I did some research into a manufacturer (Cheminees Phillipe but it seems like they may not export to the us. The benefits it touts is that it's "dual opening door mechanism with its unique retractable door for open fire enjoyment, will transform immediately to an efficient, safe, slow combustion fire when the door is closed". Does anyone makes something similar over here?
https://chemphilaust.com.au/product/radiante-700/

Pabst , are you looking to provide heat at times you are not entertaining? If so you would benefit from placing a stove on a lower level since you have cathedral ceilings in your current living rooms
Thanks Shawn - we have radiant heat throughout our downstairs floor which we love though we had thought about potentially adding a gas fireplace into our family room but the venting and costs for that option would be pretty steep. This room upstairs has a balcony overlooking our foyer which is why it's not easy to heat but we're really just looking into something that will provide some ambience with an open flame but could also heat up the upstairs area (that includes our bedroom) with the tall ceilings.

Thanks,

Dale

Perhaps its time for a bigger stove? Something that can provide the heat you need, with a glass window to view the fire.

DFE3CA28-1822-4C23-8B7D-A7FF33E408C8.png Large view windows and multi window stoves seem to be very common in the Uk , here is a relatively inexpensive nice fire view stove which may fit your entertainment and heating needs while also being air tight to avoid wasted heat when small fires are lit. For the price of what it would cost to build an open fireplace you may consider using the Jotul lower in the house and installing a second chimney . If this is not the look you are going for check out the European mfg

Last edited by a moderator:
I like fireplaces. I am biased, because I built the fireplace pictured at left. All masonry, and entirely inside the house, this heats better than any other fireplace I have ever used. Massive heat comes out of the back wall and in to the bathroom.

But, I also have a big wood stove. Day in and day out the fireplace uses 5 times as much wood as the wood stove to provide the same amount of heat.

Perhaps its time for a bigger stove? Something that can provide the heat you need, with a glass window to view the fire.
That is what I would be strongly contemplating. A larger stove with a blower may satisfy needs here. They come in contemporary or classic styles. Take a look at the Enviro Boston or Pacific Energy Alderlea T5 for examples of classic style.

How large is the room and is it open to other areas in the house or closed off?

That thing in the picture is a scary air conditioner. Your shoes and couch would be on fire after everything rolled off that decorative little ledge, and your upstairs would be 30 degrees (after the couch burned down a little, anyway).

I am choosing to imagine that the dog in the picture escaped the fire and went to live with a family who had a wood stove. :p

Is that single wall stove pipe? I ask because it looks close to the mantel.

Thanks,

Dale
If you want a fireplace I would suggest something along the lines of a Regency EX90 or Quadrafire 7100. Built in fireplaces that run on Class-A chimney's. All the benefits of wood stove with the look of a fireplace.

I'm not the most experienced person on here but I do remember having to sit within 10 feet of our fireplace at the
farmhouse I grew up in to have any warmth.
Our power would go out and that's all the heat we'd have....it was COLD unless you were within that 10 feet.
Fast forward to buying a wood burner and I can attest that a wood stove is MUCH warmer than
a fireplace. Not to mention so much safer! (and I can still sit and watch those lovely flames!)

Who told you a fireplace would be better than a stove? The Jotul F3 is just a small stove, clearly not sized properly for your home. Do not assume all stoves are the same as that one. Much like not every car is the same despite having four wheels and a steering wheel.

There are some very good EPA fireplaces that do an admirable job of efficient heating. Some have the same firebox as their freestanding equivalents. The cost of installing one will be much higher, but they certainly can do the job and it does enhance the value of the home. Some people really prefer that look and that's fine. But if the job is just heating the place well with something pleasing to look at and with a nice fireview, then just upsizing the stove will do that. It will also provide emergency heat and possibly a cooking surface if the power goes out.

Thanks for all the great responses. It definitely seems like that fireplace option in that image is a bad idea... particularly enjoyed Jetsam's response ;) I think we like the idea of a wood stove but we're looking for one with a bit more of a streamlined look to it that will provide a wide viewing area. From doing some searches it seems like the Stuv 16 Cube (attached image - comes in 23"-31" wide options) might be a good option and it appears there are dealers near us. I imagine it isn't cheap though.. Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on it.
https://www.stuv.com/en-gb/wood-burning-stove/stuv-16-cube

A couple folks asked about clearance on our current Jotul. It's anywhere from 24"-36" from the back corner wall. It's 17" inches from the wood on the sides of the hearth so it seems clearance is decent? The stove pipe is coming out of the back and goes up and angles to the left to get to the chimney (see attached).

Cheers,

Dale

Attachments

• Stuv1678cube.jpg
    Stuv1678cube.jpg
    337 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_2306.JPG
    IMG_2306.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_2305.JPG
    IMG_2305.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 197
Reactions: Mojappa
It's hard to tell from the picture. The stove pipe needs to be at least 18" away from the mantel.