Replacing wood stove with pellet stove and use existing chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mavmav

Hearth Supporter
Nov 11, 2009
Ontario
I have a standalone Woodstove and wish to swap it out with Pellet Stove.

The exisiting chimney is double walled and insulated stainless steel running from the ceiling straight up through the attic.
It is an approved wood stove chimney so I'm considering using it and just adding a separate air supply.

Can I use this class and diameter of chimney (Class A I believe) or does it need to be lined or is it a complete no-no?
I'm hoping its a straight forward hookup with just a reducer.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

are u sure u want pellet? they can be a pain to find and expensive and u need power. but up to u?

sounds like a big mistake 1/4 of the heat ..and 4 times the cost

They make adapters and kits. You're not crazy to switch from wood, it's not everybody's cup of tea. I haven't done a conversino but know that it can be done easily. You'll be best served in the pellet room with this question.

Thanks everyone. I'll repost in the correct section.

The reason I'm replacing the current stove is primarily for safety reasons.
Its time is up and I'm looking at the options.

I'll gladly trade some heat for safety at this point.

I would either reline that flue with 3" or 4" pellet vent (which you can do inside your existing flue), or direct vent it (which is very common). You're asking for problems dumping a pellet vent into a 6" flue!

wood is just as safe. if in doubt burn bio bricks basically a big pellet.

Wet1 said:
......... You're asking for problems dumping a pellet vent into a 6" flue!

Why? I went into a 8" pipe that I had my woodstove from. The pipe manufacturers make an adapter up to 8", and I have had 0 problems with my install.

Attachments

• IMG_2054.jpg
    IMG_2054.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 850
Wet1 said:
I would either reline that flue with 3" or 4" pellet vent (which you can do inside your existing flue), or direct vent it (which is very common). You're asking for problems dumping a pellet vent into a 6" flue!

I'm running right into a lined masonry chimney in the cellar, where the wood furnace useta be. Works fine for me.

Thanks macman. That's just the confirmation I was looking for.

All I'm really looking for is to know if its doable and what to look out for.
I suppose one needs to watch for any ash buildup due to the diameter change.

I would be running this only on weekends at a cottage.
I definetally would not be putting a ton of pellets through.

argus66 said:
wood is just as safe. if in doubt burn bio bricks basically a big pellet.
I agree i have my P-68 in basement, but upstairs i have my wood stove in which i burn Bio Bricks, they work just as good as a pellet.

Wet1 said:

What problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.