Repositioning fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

beermann

Feeling the Heat
Jan 16, 2017
canada
My insert stove is recessed into the old brick and morter fireplace.

What type of connection options do I have to bring this unit out into the living room. I want it positioned in front of the fireplace. Inbound renovate the area so it's all to code so nonworries there.

Reason I want it out is so I can take advantage of tue radiant heat it produces.

20220108_115950.jpg 20220108_115955.jpg

How far can liner move forward? You can get angled appliance adapters.

The best answer might be rear vent stove. Inserts are made to be convective.

I’m sure there is a point where it no longer meets the install instructions and there for would be considered an unlisted appliance.
Just some thoughts

You are correct. Scrapped the idea. Best course of action is a new fireplace so I won't be doing that anytime soon.

I was hoping to claim some of that radiant heat that's soaking into the bricks of the fireplace.

You are correct. Scrapped the idea. Best course of action is a new fireplace so I won't be doing that anytime soon.

I was hoping to claim some of that radiant heat that's soaking into the bricks of the fireplace.
I just got one of these to replace a blower that sits behind my woodstove that is installed just like your insert. It may be worth a shot.

AC Infinity AIRBLAZE T12, Universal Fireplace Blower Fan Kit 12" with Temperature and Speed Controller, for Lennox, Hearth Glo, Majestic, Rotom Amazon product ASIN B07MBJRFDJ

Do you have a block off plate (insulated)? You might gain a lot of heat output if you don't and get one.

Reactions: EbS-P

The bricks act as a heat sink. So will re-radiate the heat over time. So the heat is not really lost, it is simply stored for long term release rather than quick short term instant and obvious "on the face and hand" IR and reflected heat.

If you want more instant, reflected and IR heat, consider adding a layer of reflective foil to the interior of your alcove. Will not look as pretty as the brick, but you will get more immediate reflected heat (at the cost of heat sink heat).

Best of both worlds: simply add reflective foil to the back, not the sides. Would look less visible.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: beermann
The bricks act as a heat sink. So will re-radiate the heat over time. So the heat is not really lost, it is simply stored for long term release rather than quick short term instant and obvious "on the face and hand" IR and reflected heat.

If you want more instant, reflected and IR heat, consider adding a layer of reflective foil to the interior of your alcove. Will not look as pretty as the brick, but you will get more immediate reflected heat (at the cost of heat sink heat).

Best of both worlds: simply add reflective foil to the back, not the sides. Would look less visible.

Hope this helps.
I think I'll keep the heatsink for now

I like my heat sink on all but the coldest days. All the seats in the room can get some radiant heat from the stove. It suits my mild climate well

Is the fireplace on an outside wall?
Because then your heatsink is also radiating to the great outdoors. Brick is a poor insulator.

Is the fireplace on an outside wall?
Because then your heatsink is also radiating to the great outdoors. Brick is a poor insulator.
Yes and no. It's covered by my garage. -11 outside is roughly -1 in the garage. Just got a load of firewood and am looking forward to testing the theory it warms my garage with a small amount of radiant heat.

Reactions: stoveliker
Then, if you want more heat in the room, I think @EbS-P has the best suggestion so far. (Though it'd take away heat from the garage by cooling the back of the fireplace a bit.)