Residential Hydronic Heating book

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Best money you will ever spend on your hobby!

I got a couple of books by Dan.I also lurk on his site. First rate writer who presents the information in a understandable fashion. Also check out his "Pumping Away" book. I re piped my oil boiler according to Dans plan and it was a big improvement. With oil in the 3$ range and not coming down it is worth a small educational investment to try to keep costs down.

Will

Buy any/all of Dan's books...and, if you are doing radiant, get Siggy's books as well. I've been involved in the heating business in one form or another for over 30 yrs, and there is still so much to learn!

"Pumping away" is a concept that Dan promotes heavily but seems to be news to a lot of heating techs. That's one area where you'll find fundamental disagreement between competent pros. It seems to be a concept that the guys I respect the most at heatinghelp.com believe in, which is good enough for me.

Another area where there seems to be a lot of information lag in the industry is cold water return corrosion (protection). I mention that to conventional heating pros who have been in the business for generations, and they don't know what I'm talking about. What's up with that?

As I understand it (which ain't saying much), "pumping away" involves putting the circulator on the supply line and pumping hot water away from the boiler, instead of putting it on the return line and pulling the water into the boiler vessel. I'm sure Mikey can explain the advantages of this. I know I can't.

"Pumping away" basically is the method of moving water in a hydronic system. Instead of the circ. mounted on the return pumping thru the boiler, you mount it on the supply side, pumping away from the point of no pressure change...y'all need to buy and read the book!. Years ago, before the advent of wet rotor circs. the old B&G;100 series pump seal would not take the higher temps found on the supply side of the system. With the pump on the return, puumping thru the boiler, lots of air problems. With primary/secondary piping, you put a circ. on the primary loop, and use another circ on the secondary circuits instead of the usual zone valve/circ. setup. Much more efficient operation. I am NOT a shill for Dan, but he brought the whole concept back from the Dead (hence the term Dead Men!). His mentor at B&G;, Gil Carlson, came up with the whole concept back in the 50's. If anyone ever has the chance to go to one of Dan's seminars, please do.... well worth the price of admission! The concept works well with anything...radiant, hydro-coils, baseboard,radiators, HX's.

Status
Not open for further replies.