Resolute Acclaim door handle issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Chewie

Jan 12, 2023
Maine
Hi. I am a complete newbie when it comes to wood stoves, so I apologize if this is a silly question. We moved into a home last year that has two wood stoves, one of which is a Resolute Acclaim (I don't know the exact model #). The wooden portion of the front door handle was sitting loosely on the ground next to the stove. The metal portion of the handle connected to the stove seems to have a place where the wooden handle would screw back on, but inside the handle are no treads and it just slides on and off the metal loosely.

So, I'm feeling like either this handle doesn't actually go to the wood stove or it did go to the stove but I'm missing some additional piece that connects the handle to the metal turning mechanism?

Any ideas from anyone who is familiar with this to help me better understand how this is supposed to work would be awesome. Thanks!

PXL_20230112_145634932.jpg

PXL_20230112_145651317.jpg

Thinking two options. Drill out a wood dowl and thread it to match the threads on the door handle or order a new handle piece. For sure the threads are stripped in that one.

That makes sense, thanks for your response! Making my own handle with a dowl is not something I've ever done before, I may go the route of trying to find a replacement.

The dowel solution would be the simplest but high temp epoxy ( regular might soften and run) with some some sawdust filler thickend to peanut butter consistency in the handle’ cavity should do it. It would be permanent.