Q&A Resolute Acclaim

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I am going to look at a second hand Acclaim woodstove that is about 4 years old. The owner insists they only used it for one heating season. Not being familiar with this stove, I have several questions.
1. Is there a way to tell how old the stove is?
2. What should I look for in terms of use/abuse?
3. Are there obvious places to look for cracks?
4. Any advise anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.

Answer:

The stove changed to an all-refractory (firebrick) inside about 4-5 years ago. However, dealers may have had stock or display models for much longer, so this is not a for-sure method.

If it does not have the refractory inside, inspect the left and right side (inside) plates for cracks. Also inspect the rear firebacks, both upper and lower. You will see wear there, and they are easily replaceable, but how much wear is indicative of the use of the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.