Restore or Replace this Heatilator (?)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

pip1916

Nov 15, 2023
Ontario
Not sure if its a heatilator or not.

Definitely earlier than 1950s. After noticing a lot more smoke in the fireplace to our cabin (purchased 5 years ago) following a renovation, I decided to investigate. Looks like the flue extends lower (intentionally) than other Heatilator designs I've seen to some kind of "down draft shelf".

Clearly some deterioration of the portion that directs the smoke beyond damper. I'd love to repair this, just not clear what the design of it is supposed to be like since a key component looks like it's rusted away.

Any advice or guidance on how this is supposed to work or experience anyone has had with this would be greatly appreciated. IMG_3171.jpg IMG_3173.PNG IMG_3177.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1645.MOV
    16.8 MB
Not sure if its a heatilator or not.

Definitely earlier than 1950s. After noticing a lot more smoke in the fireplace to our cabin (purchased 5 years ago) following a renovation, I decided to investigate. Looks like the flue extends lower (intentionally) than other Heatilator designs I've seen to some kind of "down draft shelf".

Clearly some deterioration of the portion that directs the smoke beyond damper. I'd love to repair this, just not clear what the design of it is supposed to be like since a key component looks like it's rusted away.

Any advice or guidance on how this is supposed to work or experience anyone has had with this would be greatly appreciated. View attachment 318759 View attachment 318760 View attachment 318761
If you want it to be usable as an open fireplace the metal will need to be cut out and a masonry firebox built in place. The other option is an insert with a liner attached. My guess is the clay liner has fallen down from where it was supposed to be

If you want it to be usable as an open fireplace the metal will need to be cut out and a masonry firebox built in place. The other option is an insert with a liner attached. My guess is the clay liner has fallen down from where it was supposed to be
Thanks for replying! When u refer to the clay liner, just note, there’s no clay liner…a stainless steel one was installed…if your saying the section of stainless steel liner that extends into the “smoke dome” should be cut up to the threshold into the dome, that makes sense to me too…our contractor suggested removing the veneer stone from inside ti cut a hole into the dome, cut the stainless steel liner, remove debris at the bottom of the cavern, weld a new smoke shelf, weld hole back up….that would essentially correct the crazy path of travel for the smoke…can’t imagine it would ever be designed that way. The attached pic shows the suspected “fallen” liner that he wants to cut back.

IMG_3185.png

Thanks for replying! When u refer to the clay liner, just note, there’s no clay liner…a stainless steel one was installed…if your saying the section of stainless steel liner that extends into the “smoke dome” should be cut up to the threshold into the dome, that makes sense to me too…our contractor suggested removing the veneer stone from inside ti cut a hole into the dome, cut the stainless steel liner, remove debris at the bottom of the cavern, weld a new smoke shelf, weld hole back up….that would essentially correct the crazy path of travel for the smoke…can’t imagine it would ever be designed that way. The attached pic shows the suspected “fallen” liner that he wants to cut back.

View attachment 318767
Is this contractor a chimney professional? Is there even anything solid to weld to?

Is this contractor a chimney professional? Is there even anything solid to weld to?
He’s a historic mason who has a specialty welder. They both agreed it’s just too hard to tell if there’s enough to weld to without opening up to see. Worse case, we rebuild a rumford (as u say) but they think it’s worth a shot.

He’s a historic mason who has a specialty welder. They both agreed it’s just too hard to tell if there’s enough to weld to without opening up to see. Worse case, we rebuild a rumford (as u say) but they think it’s worth a shot.
Ok as someone who has cut out quite a few of these I doubt they will find any good metal to weld to

Just an update: had the guys in to do the work.

They cut open the fire box to access the inner wall. They cut the liner back (by 6” so it’s flush). Then welded a sheet of steel on to the smoke shelf (repairing the rusted out hole) from the underside. And then welded the access panel back that he cut out from the firebox. It seems to have worked. They had a fire for a few hours with zero smoke kicking back into the room (which happened regularly before because the smoke just could draw out).

IMG_3708.jpeg IMG_3709.jpeg IMG_2438.jpeg