Restoring a Cook Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
We are passively looking at range hoods for our cookstove to extend the usable season. Our house is facing south directly into the predominant winds so ventilation is great.
Some have make up air as well. Look for that. To prevent negative pressure that draws outdoor air down the chimney and through intake vents, it has an intake as well. With just that running you can pressurize the house for instant starts!

Reactions: SpaceBus
Some have make up air as well. Look for that. To prevent negative pressure that draws outdoor air down the chimney and through intake vents, it has an intake as well. With just that running you can pressurize the house for instant starts!
Something with makeup air would definitely be nice, but we also have a large double casement window six feet from the stove, and a sliding glass door a bit further.

Something with makeup air would definitely be nice, but we also have a large double casement window six feet from the stove, and a sliding glass door a bit further.
So do I. Casement windows to each side of the gas range with the hood over it. If I turn the exhaust hood on and close the widows, I can reverse draft the wood cook stove anytime!

The Chinese restaurant I maintain has make up air that blows down over the cook line. I try to tell them to always run the make up air. Some hoods only run both. Without it, the negative pressure in the building draws the cool conditioned air from the front of Buffet. Horrible on the heating/ cooling bill, but the kitchen help deserves the cool air in front of woks all day. Hot air biking on them from outside is too much. Maybe common for all restaurants to do that. I know I couldn’t stand it, so I don’t push it.

Reactions: SpaceBus
So do I. Casement windows to each side of the gas range with the hood over it. If I turn the exhaust hood on and close the widows, I can reverse draft the wood cook stove anytime!

The Chinese restaurant I maintain has make up air that blows down over the cook line. I try to tell them to always run the make up air. Some hoods only run both. Without it, the negative pressure in the building draws the cool conditioned air from the front of Buffet. Horrible on the heating/ cooling bill, but the kitchen help deserves the cool air in front of woks all day. Hot air biking on them from outside is too much. Maybe common for all restaurants to do that. I know I couldn’t stand it, so I don’t push it.
I cooked for Waffle House for about a year and there was makeup air coming from above like you describe. The management would never consider pulling the nice conditioned air into that grill area, especially with customers sitting so close to the grill.

The cooks here ARE the management. They want the A/C over them. It’s actually keeping us in business being slow with owners being chef, sushi chef, and front counter. It’s funny when a customer asks for manager and they come get the American janitor. I’ll get the “You work here? I thought you just liked Chinese food a lot”.

coaly i used to do electrical work for a boston market back then known as boston chicken. you would have loved this place to maintain. they had a 10 ton air conditioner just for the kitchen.