Restoring a Drolet Myriad Craigslist find.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kiletravis09

Jan 21, 2015
woodstock ohio
So a few days back I picked up a Drolet Myriad on CL for 200$. It need a good cleaning and some stove paint but overall it was in great condition. No signs of over firing, cracks, or chipped paint. The stainless steel baffle was also in good shape. It did need some new fire bricks as the ones I removed were extremely light and brittle. So over the past few days I have been breaking the stove down, sanding, greasing, and painting. After doing some research on here I decided to use stove bright stove paint and I will say I'm so happy that I did. The finish is exactly what I'm looking for. I used the Satin Black and the stove now looks to be new from the factory. I ordered new gaskets for the window and the door and I bought all new fire brick.
03e9d946f7307801d05dc4095d3454f2.jpg 80320ca65389a2f50200d5885a6f01cd.jpg
So these are the products I used to refinish the stove. I used 0000 steel wool, acetone, gloves, microfiber towels, and one thing I left out was a mask (it was on my face during the pics). Anyone who plans to use stove bright should really wear a mask rated for paint vapors as the paint is very hazardous to breath in.
2bc987d3f5dc9018d7d57e46e3650413.jpg
So the finish on the stove wasn't horrible but I wanted to make it look new so I used some steel wool to even out the surface and roughen up the paint to provide some area for the stove bright to stick to. I did this on all surfaces of the stove including the base/ash pan.
225b92f1c1553ac673c8d736e04ae46e.jpg
Once the stove was scuffed with steel wool I prepped the entire stove using acetone and microfiber towels. I would also recommend wearing a mask while using acetone! Is so stinky! Once I was done cleaning the stove with acetone I made sure not to touch anywhere on the stove with anything (bare hands, clothes, etc....)
29ba7ba8fb32874f3d3ca5208026f72a.jpg
The stove bright can has pretty good instruction on how to apply it for the best results. The can said they recommended 2-3 light coats rather than 1 heavy coat, so that what I did. The first coat was kinda worrying cause I kept thinking it looked terrible. Once I let that coat dry, I followed it up with two more light coats. That's when the actual finish started to impress me. The finish is so consistent and perfect that I will never use any other stove paint. It's worth the extra cost!add9460f8ae30b21ec0da5181ea89c2c.jpg3478b678e4c9bbf08646dfa5a2156ab5.jpg9e28893344e27ae5a173ebc9d0710853.jpg
So once the last coat dried the stove really started to look awesome! It literally looks like a brand new stove. Once I get some cool weather I'll be able to fire it up outside to do the curing of the stove. Here are some pics of the finished product.
d51cecb353d366d28ae32fc54d178995.jpgfdab30933d55b679aa30f7456a5630c4.jpg
So I brought the stove inside and placed it approximately where it's going to be so I could get some measurements for the hearth pad I'll be building. I'll try to do a little write up for the hearth pad and general install also. I hope this post can help someone who wants to redo/restore a wood stove. For about 300$ I have an almost new Drolet Myriad. I update once the hearth pad and stove gets installed. Thanks everyone!!!
55fc59b86c1a7d6ba444b02f009303c6.jpg6096104f1a089ec991690e3887e17830.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That really did come out nicely. I think you'll be impressed by this stove. It's a heating beast.

Safety question regarding the wall thimble. Wondering about the clearances. Was this just put in? Is it going into a metal or masonry chimney?

That really did come out nicely. I think you'll be impressed by this stove. It's a heating beast.

Safety question regarding the wall thimble. Wondering about the clearances. Was this just put in? Is it going into a metal or masonry chimney?

The wall was put in in the 90's. When we bought the house it came with pictures of the build. It was built to conform to all of the clearances needed to pass inspection. It's safe. The chimney is an insulated stainless liner inside of a clay flue tile chimney. The entire chimney is inside the house for two floors until it exits the roof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good deal. Sounds like all you need is a hearth and dry wood.

Great job. I love to see stoves get a new life. :)
You know, since your wood floor has such a nice pattern, you might consider a tempered glass hearth similar to this one so as not to cover it up. They come in different shapes.

GlassPad.jpg