Restoring fireplace doors

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dugbee

Dec 14, 2005
Hello all. Until I can afford to buy a nice set of fireplace doors (I don't like build quality of the ones at my local home superstore!), I'd like to do what I can to fix up the ones that came with the house. It's a masonry fireplace in a 1940s cape. The fireplace doors are a "bay window" style, bifold, and the chain-link style screen that you pull like a curtain to close. (I'm sure there's a technical term for that)

My issues are:

The screens are a tad rusty and difficult to pull. Is there a high temperature paint I can use to make them look nice? I have access to a sandblaster, so I'd be able to clean off the old stuff/rust. OR are they traditionally powder-coated, and a high-temp paint wouldn't work or be safe?

Can I use anything to lubricate the track (a metal cylinder) that the screen rides on?

The track-bound bifold glass doors are a tad sticky as well. I can tweak the balance of the doors, but haven't been able to get them to "float" in the middle of the track. Similar to above, is there something safe that I can use to lubricate the rollers? Or is there a source in which to replace the rollers?

Thanks for any help you can give!

Status
Not open for further replies.