Retrofit a closet

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rwhite

Minister of Fire
Nov 8, 2011
North Central Idaho
I have the idea in my head of how to go about this but I figured I'd ask to make sure I'm not missing anything. Always hate finishing a project the realizing "I wish I would have done that" .
Anyhow, I have a room with no closet. The jut out in the picture is a bathroom on the other side of the wall. I plan to extend this down the wall about 5 feet. No room for a swing out door. I wanted a traditional bifold door but I lost that argument so it's going to be a sliding barn door with the track extending down the wall. On the right hand side of the closet she wants book shelves built it. Once the opening for the shelves and door is cut there won't be much that needs sheetrocked and textured. I plan to just use spray can texture. I've had pretty good success with the oil based version before. Excuse the art but the drawing is more or less the plan.

See anything I'm missing?

IMG_20230116_084232081_MP.jpg IMG_20230116_090239072_MP.jpg

Adding a light to the closet?
What is going in the closet? Just a bar for hanging clothes? A closet system?

I
Adding a light to the closet?
What is going in the closet? Just a bar for hanging clothes? A closet system?
Wasn't planning on a light. There is a plug in on the left wall that will be inside the closet. As for contents. I have to wait for further instructions from the general contractor (wife). She mentioned shelves inside for office supplies and board games. But also a rod to hang clothes. She has walk in closet ideas in a 3x5 space 🤣.

How deep is the space?

The barn door track can be a "pita" if you don't get blocking in place when your framing. I would recommend getting your door AND track on hand, BEFORE you frame the opening, for easy reference.

Reactions: Gearhead660
Wasn't planning on a light. There is a plug in on the left wall that will be inside the closet. As for contents. I have to wait for further instructions from the general contractor (wife). She mentioned shelves inside for office supplies and board games. But also a rod to hang clothes. She has walk in closet ideas in a 3x5 space 🤣.

3x5, is that before or after the space taken up by the end bookshelves?

If you think she’s gonna run out of room easily, could you take the front closet wall farther than 5? Like just take it all the way to whatever wall is on the right? Could always put bookshelves in the front side on the right, and behind that could be short shelving on the inside, like for the board games or office supplies.

Got the door already. Actually have had it 2 years waiting on this project. They had a sale on them at Costco a few years ago for $125 so that actually sparked the idea. The space is 27" deep discounting the 2x4 frame and sheet rock. I can get 5' long + another 10" or so for the shelves. The problem is the door opens there as well. The tape in the picture is 5' and 5'10". This is the only wall I have to work with as the room is on a corner and has windows on the other walls. I don't like the look of opening a door into a wall but figured the bookshelves would okay rather than a blank wall.

IMG_20230117_060516313_MP.jpg

I have seen smaller closets. Should be fine. Usually want at least 24" depth if hanging clothes.

Makes much more sense seeing the rest of the wall.

Anyone coming into the room will have to take it easy in case she is pondering the books on the shelves. A picture or wall canvas would be an alternative if you’re looking for something other than a blank wall.

My old house had a bedroom with an identical setup, minus the bookshelves. The closet that you’re building was already there. The bathroom was on the other side of the wall too. Had to make the most use of space, the room was only about 8 x 9.

Consider blocking anything into the room with your new construction or preventing furniture from entering.

Reactions: tlc1976
Consider blocking anything into the room with your new construction or preventing furniture from entering.
I didn’t have any problems, and my wall was even closer to the door swing area. But the OP must definitely consider anything already in the room, and any future furniture plans.

It's a spare bedroom/office. I don't think I'll have any issues getting things through the door. Honestly I liked not having a dresser or closet in there. If family has to stay long enough to put clothes away it's probably to long🤣

Reactions: mcdougy
Looks like it was supposed to be there. Built in shelves look good.

Reactions: tlc1976