Retrofitting Fan to Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ThisOldCabinNJ

Mar 5, 2023
New Jersey
Hi Folks,
Newbie to wood stoves here. I apologize I’m advance for the long winded intro but I recently installed a Regency F1150; a smaller non-catalytic wood stove for my 800sf cabin and would like some input if anyone has any. My cabin was purchased outright as a fixer upper and a year later I’m still not living there as I’m taking it slow and affordably.

I ordered the stove with no options. After it was installed I realized a fan would be nice but Regency wants $600 for a fan. So far I like regency and feel their products are quality so the $600 would probably be well spent BUT I’m fixing this cabin paycheck to paycheck as to not have outstanding balances owed to people/banks so $600 buys a lot of construction materials for me at this moment.

Browsing thru Amazon I found a replacement fireplace fan for $40. That’s not a typo, $40. It came with the fan, a speed controller and a snap-disc switch - far more than I expected for $40. Heck, buying groceries to make lunch for the work week cost more than that these days.

I realize none of you here actually know me but I’m a beyond handy individual. (I’ve rebuilt engines, I can weld, I carpenter, I electrician, I plumb, the lost keeps going…) That said, I bought the $40 fan with intentions to retrofit it to the stove.

I got the fan installed yesterday however I couldn’t find a good location for the snap-switch.

Can anyone recommend a good location for the snap switch? If you have a regency stove maybe you could share the location of yours?

So far the fan works PERFECTLY! The house temps increased so much faster and for the $40 I’m incredibly happy.

Thanks for any information, it is greatly appreciated.

Albert

EDBB4521-6F94-43EF-B7A0-87A1B760768D.jpeg

Reactions: fussen
Is magnetic?

No. It has a “bracket” around the disc with mounting holes. I assume this is to be mounted into a magnetic holder or a specific spot on the stove.

After I posted this I realized there was a magnetic one on Amazon. I could go this route but same question, where is it best located?

Thanks

No. It has a “bracket” around the disc with mounting holes. I assume this is to be mounted into a magnetic holder or a specific spot on the stove.

After I posted this I realized there was a magnetic one on Amazon. I could go this route but same question, where is it best located?

Thanks
So my blower came with one of these. From a cold top down start I found a spot in the back about 6” up from the bottom of the stove near a corner. Any lower it would not turn in soon enough. Much higher it would turn on before the top got up to temp. You might be able to use any old magnets you have.

If find most stock positions turned on to slow.
VICOOL Magnetic Thermostat Switch for Fireplace Fan/Fireplace Blower kit, Snap-Disc Temperature Switch on Magnetic Bracket https://a.co/d/d2KVyQa

Reactions: fussen
So my blower came with one of these. From a cold top down start I found a spot in the back about 6” up from the bottom of the stove near a corner. Any lower it would not turn in soon enough. Much higher it would turn on before the top got up to temp. You might be able to use any old magnets you have.

If find most stock positions turned on to slow.
VICOOL Magnetic Thermostat Switch for Fireplace Fan/Fireplace Blower kit, Snap-Disc Temperature Switch on Magnetic Bracket https://a.co/d/d2KVyQa

This is absolutely perfect!!! and cheaper than others Ive found. Interestingly enough, the linked switch says it turns on at 120° f - the one I have that came with the fan kit turns on at 68°c (154.5° f ). I like the lower temp on the switch too. I just need a slight breeze over top the stove to help induce an air current. I can't believe how big of a difference it makes having the fan!!!!

Thanks for your help!

Reactions: fussen and EbS-P