Return temperature question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mousenut

Mar 22, 2008
Central PA
Please excuse my "newbism" if this is a dumb question :)

If I need to supply ~130 deg water to my radiant ceiling and ~140 deg to some panel rads, how do you protect the boiler from thermal shock? I understand that the supply water will need to be mixed, but what temps would the boiler have to run at to supply these and still maintain protection? I am looking to replace my oil boiler with something, just doing a ton of research before I commit to anything. After doing some reading at heatinghelp.com, I learned that I have been running my supply way too hot. Again, I apologize if this is a dumb question, just trying to learn.

Regards,

Ryan

I have a Tarm that is piped with some thermostats called "Termovar" 's that control the temps that return to the boiler. Basically they are similar to your auto engine thermostats. Some run with out.

You might be asking two questions. To meet your supply needs at two different temperatures, you will need mixing valves to temper down the hotter boiler supply to what you require. The Termovar is a separate mixing vale plumbed between the boiler supply and return to insure that the return to the boiler is not too cold. In other words, it mixes hot boiler supply with cool boiler return to maintain 130+ or so return to the boiler.

Status
Not open for further replies.