Revelli Spillo Smoke Fan warning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

shempington

Jan 17, 2017
NH-USA
Hi all new to the forum

I have a Spillo that is in its 3rd year. Just recently started getting a warning code indicating smoke fan.

Can anyone point me to some documentation or explain what could be happening and/or some diagnostics that can be performed to determine what is malfunctioning?

thanks in advance

Shemp

Sounds to me like the combustion fan is ailing. Could also be bad airflow (if you have a vacuum switch) caused by a dirty stove or venting.

Some Ecoteck/Ravellis have an RPM sensor on the exhaust ("smoke fan") fan motor that tells the control board the actual RPMs of the fan. The board compares the actual fan RPM to what it should be for the speed (voltage) that the control board is sending to the fan. If the actual RPMs differ significantly, then the "Smoke Fan" alarm is triggered. Either the fan is being slowed by excessive ash in the fan housing, or the bearing is starting to sieze. Pull the fan motor/blades out of the fan housing and clean/inspect. The fan blades should turn very easily. Lastly, the RPM sensor on the motor could also be dirty or defective, which would also set this alarm.

From the Ecoteck/Ravelli Service Manual
4.9 smoke fan fault alarm if the exhaust blower is faulty or the encoder (the RPM sensor on the motor) does not read the number of revs, even just because the reading cable is disconnect or broken.(Check if the connector/wire came off)
4.10 exhaust blower anomaly alarm if the exhaust blower works at a speed 15% below the set speed.

Last edited: