Revisiting the lithium battery bank question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dvellone

Feeling the Heat
Sep 21, 2006
It's been about a year since I asked if any off-grid folks had made the switch to a lithium bank and I'm wondering, since that time has anyone made the leap?
For my system needs they have an advantage over fla, particularly the ability to maximize my generator output greatly reducing run times which, in my location due east of the Great Lakes, is a big deal from November to March.
Price still hasn't dropped much, although it's predicted to within a couple years.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who's made the switch. Daniel

I made my first large scale off grid pack in 2016-17 with battleborns at their original $800 launch price tag, 15.3kwh usable and the price was $625/kwh back then. Battleborn has since raised the prices, and recently on "sale" they finally have come back down to that $800 2016 price tag on 12v/100ah batteries.... but I no longer buy them. They were still cheaper than any lead acid at that price due to total cycle life and round trip efficiency. More recently, we commissioned a Lishen pack with (32) 280ah cells for 28.6kwh, the delivered cost was $4234, $148/kwh. The batteryhookup.com 12v/100ah kits run $220, $234 shipped in a bulk freight shipment for us, which comes out to $183/kwh. My battleborn's have lost about 4.2% capacity in 5 years. They are installed in a mobile vehicle, an get hot in the summer which has decreased the life and accelerated the aging, but I try to keep them between 30-70% SOC to slow the process as much as possible, and if they start getting above 90% I start looking for extra loads to keep them out of the high thermal aging zone, so given that they are somewhat abused I probably expect about 18-20 years, current rate of decline puts that pack at 23.8 year lifespan to 80% remaining capacity, but aging also accelerates slowly with calendar life, so...

lishens.jpg
*I misremembered the Lishen price, it was $4234k delivered, not $5k. It just takes 3 months to get them.

Last edited:
It's been about a year since I asked if any off-grid folks had made the switch to a lithium bank and I'm wondering, since that time has anyone made the leap?
For my system needs they have an advantage over fla, particularly the ability to maximize my generator output greatly reducing run times which, in my location due east of the Great Lakes, is a big deal from November to March.
Price still hasn't dropped much, although it's predicted to within a couple years.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who's made the switch. Daniel
This guy just made the switch and posted about it, costs, etc: https://offgridcabin.wordpress.com/