Rheem releases cold climate heat pump!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
-30C!

I saw that but until I see details on the actual COP at lower temps I am unsure if it still is a good primary heating source for cold climates. If the COP goes down to 1 at low temps it still puts lots of load on the grid during a period when power capacity is an issue in many areas.

The efficiency is very impressive.

Cop between 1.5 and 2 at 17 F.
77 pct of nominal heating capacity at -15 F, but no data on what electric power it needs then. (I.e. whether it is merely an expensive cop=1 heater then...)

But they beat the DOE challenge by 5 pct. Generally these are not easy (though not unachievable).

Reactions: EbS-P
Cop between 1.5 and 2 at 17 F.
77 pct of nominal heating capacity at -15 F, but no data on what electric power it needs then. (I.e. whether it is merely an expensive cop=1 heater then...)

But they beat the DOE challenge by 5 pct. Generally these are not easy (though not unachievable).
My 10 year old unit has a COP between 1.5 an 2 at 17 F. LOL. Just really low output.

Reactions: begreen
My 10 year old unit has a COP between 1.5 an 2 at 17 F. LOL. Just really low output.
So, now I looked up my unit again.
My Mitsu has a 62% of nominal output at 17 F with a COP of 2.67 ... I.e. even better (at 17 F) than this one. (and the COP only down from 3.5 at 47 F)
A 38% cut in BTUs tho.

The COP isn't as impressive as the high output at lower temps. If the alternative is resistive electric heat, this is definitely an upgrade

I agree, it's nice to have 3/4 of the output available (at more than resistive heat COP) at a whopping -15 F.

So, now I looked up my unit again.
My Mitsu has a 62% of nominal output at 17 F with a COP of 2.67 ... I.e. even better (at 17 F) than this one. (and the COP only down from 3.5 at 47 F)
A 38% cut in BTUs tho.
Yes, I am waiting to see what Mitsubishi, Daikin, Bosch, etc. bring to the table for their next-gen entries.

Yes, I am waiting to see what Mitsubishi, Daikin, Bosch, etc. bring to the table for their next-gen entries.
Yes, although the (still 20%) reduced output at very low temps still forces one to buy a larger unit than otherwise needed in cold climates. So they need a good variable compressor speed (like Mitsu, I believe), otherwise the high BTU at low T advantage is offset by other issues.

In the end, I'm of the impression that most of the country does not need this, most of Europe neither. The one I have quite suffices for a large part.

So how useful is the push for even colder climate performance than what we have now? I have my reservations. We're already in a pretty good spot with these machines, even though most people don't see that.