Propane Heat Pump - This is a new one to me

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH

Always a different way to "skin the proverbial cat"

Reactions: sloeffle
R410a phase out means the switch to flammable refrigerants. Neat thing about this unit was is how you can combine up to four units. I have seen a lot going this route.

Edit these are big commercial units. Starting at roughly 15 tons. Can we just all agree and ditch btus and tons for thermal capacity already!!!

I am in the HVAC industry. The industry is switching to lower GWP refrigerants. Most, if not all, will be slightly flammable. This will be mandatory by next year.

When I saw the headline at first I thought it was a heat pump that runs on propane, like the old gas refrigerators.
But really using R-290 as a refrigerant is such a no-brainer, for most of the past decade I wished people would put as much energy into safety engineering as they did complaining about the risks. Glad to see some progress being made.

We've got a deep freeze that uses cyclopentane as the refrigerant, no issues.

I've also worked on large refrigeration units for gas plants that use propane as the working medium, last one was a 2,500hp electric drive compressor. Usually takes a couple truck loads of propane to fill those systems.