Right on schedule consumption wise...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm probably going to put up an aluminum framed double glazed one on a moveable (skid type base) I can move around with one of the farm tractors to take advantage of various spots in the yard. Will have raised beds and heated with running water and of course comfortable seating inside.

I put up 2 Clearspan Truss Arch buildings 37 x 16 x100 about 15 years ago (would make a dandy greenhouse or high tunnel) if sheathed in translucent film. Never had issue one in 15 years of Michigan weather. I use mine for hay and equipment storage with 14 foot roll up doors at one end and a solid wall at the other Even unheated, they never freeze inside....Wife's cats sure love them.....

Already lookin' ahead to January, I'll keep you and flip posted on usage, then ...................

As promised ...............

P1070464.JPG

January is a month hot

Nice, but needs to be bundled up.......;lol

But like those fancy foreign stoves, probably very high maintenance!

But like those fancy foreign stoves, probably very high maintenance!

Looks to be standard fittings to me......but probably a closer inspection is warranted.....

At my age, anticipation can be cardiac arrest......._g

Despite the warm blooded lass in the calendar picture, i'm back to sucking down pellets and corn at a high rate of consumption as in HR 9 at 6.75 PPH and it's been there for at least the last 24 hours with no break in sight.

Not quite enough output (from the stove) to cover the entire heat load for the house, my central furnace (propane) is cycling about 5 minutes every hour to maintain a comfortable 68 in the house (outside it's a not so comfortable) 11 (f).

Using water at a pretty high rate too, to keep the RH at a habitable level (I'm sure it's not 35% but right now, I'll take anything above bone dry, cracked skin, runny nose level.

According to NWS, no change here until Sunday, then 'more seasonal' weather is on tap.

I normally keep my downstairs at a very cool temperature. I now have a full time downstairs resident so I need to keep it higher than the 50 degrees I normally keep it at. I've thought about buying a second stove for down there but it's more economical just to heat with oil until oil prices start to rise again.

sucking down pellets

Same here - running flat out 2+ bags a day and filling the humidifier regularly to keep it at it's 35% setting. I now know I have summer projects lined up. New front door - check. New rear slider - check. Vaulted ceiling to unheated attic heat leakage - check. Seal up older windows - check. Seal up basement leakage - check! Gonna be a busy man this coming summer!

3 weeks of corn left. plus a ton of pellets. So January will likely will consume most of my corn and pellets.If the weather moderates then I'll be into Feb before I have to buy more. Corn is sneaking up to around 4 dollars a bushel so another ton of pellets looks pretty good at the moment.

I'm driving up for fresh rabbit....... I love rabbit. We don't have any, the song dogs get 'em. We do have squirrel though and squirrel stew (crockpot squirrel) is almost as good. Problem is, it takes a pretty big clutch to make a crock pot full with a bag limit of 6 per it's a team hunt.

I got the wife one of those 'electronic' pressure cookers for Christmas that I'm going to have a squirrel 'maiden' run with....lol

Glad mother is doing well btw, Amy is sick like me but toughing it out... Nyquil is great stuff...uch.
I have always wanted to have squirrel - wife says no though.... some day, some day for sure.

It is interesting here. On most days we are in the teens range for temps. We get spells though that is goes below 0 - I used about 2.5 to 3 bags per day on those days. No more than 2 bags on a teen temp day and if it is above about 22... I only use 1 bag per day.... we have a lot of wind here though and I still need alot of insulation... one piece at a time but we are getting there.

Status
Not open for further replies.