Rip out existing ZC fireplace, and build a alcove for free standing pellet stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
new pipe, new roof jack, and some $$$$
its a job. Im not the installation expert, i will let someone else take this over :)

for all the work needed, you might as well buy a new pellet insert for your fireplace. your probably looking at least $1000 in material alone to redo that chimney.. not including labor.
If it were me, i would just move the stove upstairs and pop the vent out the back on a exterior wall and call it good. Block off the fireplace so you dont loose all your house heat up the chimney.

There is no where else I would put that stove. The only other wall is in the front of my house and that would look very bad.

If anyone has any other Ideas please let me know.

I suppose you could put it in front of the fireplace and run a new pipe straight up from the stove in front of the zc chimney and out through the roof.
This could be possibly enclosed in a chase to hide it from view.

i was talking to elk last night about this situation, he said he would consider passing it as long as you had a access hatch to be able to inspect and detach if needed. So i think you should talk to your local inspector.

just so you know,
we have a 12 1/2" pipe with an 8" inner pipe.
Or did you already know that?

In my manual it shows a connector from 3"-6" for installation with a Class A vent.
So I would think that I could use that vent but my went is bigger.
So confused.
Thank you
Carol

so here is how it would work
you would buy the top vent adapter from quad
you would buy the 3-4 adapter from simpson duravent
you would buy X amount of feet of pellet pipe
you would buy a pellet pipe support box
you would buy a generic 8" plug and cut a 4.5" hole in it
you would stuff the plug and seel it in the 8" chimney you have.
Dont seal it so tight that you cant get it off, you will need to remove it for cleaning
You will need a access door for inspection and maintenance.
Most of all, you need to talk to your town inspector and see if he would let that plan fly.

you have a few code problems one your crossectional ares is over 5 times larger than your flue collar. The second issue is concealment of a vital connection.

MSg has given you the correct advice same advice as an inspector I would require before I issued a permit. Your state and mine subscribe to the same codes.
All states are have now joined the international codes. . Again MSG has told you to visit your local inspector and run by your setup and perposed installation.
The only approval you need is his signature upon completion.

does cross sectional codes apply to positive pressure devices like pelletstoves? i thought that was only for gravity vented appliances?

There were several reasons I replaced my old ZC flue pipe. First, it was 8" ID. My wood stove required 6" ID. Second, the old pipe wasn't 2100° rated. The Class A I had installed is double wall packed with insulation. I still have access on my second floor where they installed the new pipe and I can put my hand on the outside and it's hot, but not crazy hot. The black support box over my stove isn't really load bearing. The chimney is actually supported by the ceiling behind the wall. They put a firestop plate over the hole in the ceiling and put in a support strap.

I would say that if you can run your pellet pipe inside the old flue, that would be ok. I'm not sure what type of support the pipe would need. Of course, I would just rip out the old ZC pipe and just install the new pipe cleanly. Not exactly the cheapest, but probably the most straight forward......

MountainStoveGuy said:
does cross sectional codes apply to positive pressure devices like pelletstoves? i thought that was only for gravity vented appliances?

not found in the building codes but found in the gas ccodes Positeve draft appliances (note it saysa appliances not just gas) can be vented into and area un to 5 times the cross sectional area of the appliance flue collar for an example if the appliance has a 3' flue collar its cross sectional area is a little less than 7 (this is a guess you math wizards please correct me)
7x5 =35 that applaince can be vented intoa 6" vent ^' = 28.25" however it can not be vented into an 8/8 clay flue Now if it has a 4" flue collar 5x that area is65 app and the standard clay interior cross-section is about 49" I then get confronted with the eise guy who increases his vent pipe to 4" and tells me it ok. I have to remind him the code starts with the flue collar not the vent pipe.. Iam typing this from memory and should go back and read it again to confirm the times 5x

but to answer forced draft is governed.

Status
Not open for further replies.