Risk of back puff or whatever it is called.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crater22

Burning Hunk
Nov 23, 2014
brookville, indiana
Is this a risk of the above happening. This morning I was really happy with myself getting what I thought was the perfect fire going. I had the air down about 80% and fantastic secondaries. The cat was right at 900 and the front of the insert was 400 with a IR. All of the sudden the flames stopped, no flames from the wood ( 15% seasoned ash) and the cat was still glowing. What I am concerned about if I leave it like that is, all of the sudden one of the logs catches again and creates a pack puff. Should
I just let the wood continue to glow or should I open the air control a little more and get a flame going. That could be a hourly thing and I have a bad back so getting up and down is some what of a pain. but of course not as big of a pain to try and control a problem.

Many thanks in advance.

Oh Yeah, the insert is a Buck 91 cat

Not a cat expert,more of a dog person ha ha my stupid joke for the week.from what your saying in your post it seems to be normal for a cat stove it burns the smoke & gasses from the smoldering wood if i'm wrong there will be a cat guy coming soon to clarify.

Nothing wrong with that, you may even be able to close the air down more and sooner for an even longer burn time. A backpuff isn't anything dangerous, though it can be unnerving. Worst case scenario is it is a really violet backpuff that causes some smoke to puff into the house, and rattle the stove a little. Most of the time its just a sound thing, and will generally cause a little puff of smoke to come out of the air intakes.

Under the "right" conditions, I will get a backpuff once every hour or so. But normally this is only during mild weather. Normally I never get them, except for the rare occasion.

Violent backpuffs are certainly to be avoided. They are stressful to the stove, pipe connections and the house occupants. In rare cases they can be strong enough to lift the lid on top loaders and in the pellet forum there were reports of the front glass blowing out with some stoves.

Last edited:
I had the air down about 80% and fantastic secondaries.

I used to try to set it for the secondaries, but after two explosions, I caught on and was done. As the fire progresses and as soon as they go out, you are still building the gases that were feeding them until they build enough again to relight. BOOM! I go with a finger of flame at the wood, or let the cat do its thing. No more aurora in the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.