Roof Pass Through, 12 12 Pitch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Simonkenton

Minister of Fire
Feb 27, 2014
Marshall NC
I have a metal roof. The guy is installing my stove, up on top of the roof he is using this 24 inch by 24 inch rubber boot to surround the pipe.
This boot bunches up towards the bottom and is unsightly.
He is going to make a big metal collar to install tomorrow which will conceal most of the ugly boot and make it look better.

Is there a better way to seal that pipe on a metal roof with 12 12 pitch?

Is there a better way to seal that pipe on a metal roof with 12 12 pitch?
Well i would cut metal flashing in to the roof to fit. That looks better to me but it is a real pain in the ass

bholler; I see you are a certified chimney sweep. This rubber boot is about 24 inches by 24 on the bottom where it is flat. The guy said this is the best way to do a 12 12 pitch with metal because it will conform to the ridges in the roof.
Is this true? Is this rubber boot the best way to seal such a roof? He said that the 12 12 pitch makes it more difficult.

My mom has a pipe going through a metal roof with a 10 12 pitch and hers is fitted with a metal funnel shaped thing that fits tight on the pipe, and goes down to a square metal piece which is fitted into the roof. They cut into the metal roof and fitted the metal plate under the metal roofing on the high side.
This has held up well for 17 years for my mom.

Status
Not open for further replies.