Roofer screwed up my pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeyD

Minister of Fire
Jun 15, 2008
South Jersey
I had a new roof put on this week and came home from work to find my chimney was leaning. The guys were still here and I attempted to get them to straighten it, and they tried, but there was a language barrier and it was the end of an almost 90 degree day here so I let it slide figuring I would do it myself. It has telescoping brackets that seemed easy enough to adjust. The next day as I was getting home the sales guy came by for final payment and when I pointed it out to him he offered to have the guys come back and do it so I let them. Today I come home and I notice the first section is cocked and the other sections look plumb. So I go into my attic and first thing I notice is a starter shingle that they use to keep the outside edge straight is touching my class "A" pipe (it is under the pipe flange) because my pipe is close to the edge of my house. Also after looking closer because the flange was moved the clearance to the plywood is now only 1 1/2". To me it appears the flange has to be moved to make the pipe straight. They are coming out again tomorrow hopefully and I will be here.

Now some questions, because so much pressure was put on the joint to make this thing look straight could it be damaged? The pipe is Simpson Dura-vent, could I have a problem where the double wall connects to the class "A" ? If so how can I tell?

I'm not to keen on having new shingles patched in on the lower edge of a new roof so I don't know where that is gong to end up. I wish I had an extra day to look things over before he got paid in full but that is how things go sometimes.

Any other things I should be looking for?

To make matters worse its going into the thirties tonight and I can't light a fire :shut: :coolmad:

Sounds like the pipe flashing wasn't centered over the hole when they shingled. The only way to fix it that I know of would be to remove the shingles aruond the chimmney and re-do it. Shouldn't be a
problem for an experianced roofer to fix. they should have cut the starter back from the chimmney a little. If they wont fix it report them to the BBB. Since It's a new roof the shingles should match. Make sure they use the same lot # shingles.

Status
Not open for further replies.