Rookie install question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Juddct

Feb 7, 2021
New England
Hello,

I purchased my first stove on close out and am looking to install in my basement to provide a little warmth down there in the winter.

I have one wall that will work for install given the requirements.

I have one area that will necessitate the majority of the stove piping to be inside the basement with only the small section and cap being on the exterior.

The other location will allow more of a traditional install with just a section of pipe and thimble being inside our home and the majority of the vertical piping outside.

Is there any benefit to either type of install?

Thank you.

Judd

9B10BDAD-1855-4228-AA9F-D8D5AD1906F4.jpeg 39915342-6096-45FC-B505-1E9A76126B08.jpeg

Hi,

I've owned two pellet stoves, one with piping on the inside like the traditional install that you mention, and I've also owned one where I've had the pipe and go directly outside where it then T's and then goes up the side of the house to the desired height depending on the specification of the installation.

Based off my experience, mainly because I do all my own maintenance and cleaning I found that the outside installation is a lot less messy. Because the T-caps outside this will allow you good access to clean and sweep your chimney venting in both directions.

Currently where I live I have the inside pipe installation, It look's more aesthetic - but it definitely makes it harder to get a good cleaning without making a mess inside and getting whinned at by the boss.

Just be sure to follow the installation requirements within your manual, as well as making sure you meet your requirements that your jurisdiction require. If the stove both allows inside and outside venting installation then it's totally preference. But that is my pros and cons at a high level. Hope the feedback helps and good luck on your pellet stove installation and enjoy the warmth!!!

Reactions: Juddct
Makes a lot of sense and thank you! I really appreciate the response from someone who has had both.

Take care and thanks again!
Judd

I want as much pipe inside as pos why because I am paying
to heat the pipe so I want as much radiant heat as possible
inside the house . the small amount of clean up inside from
cleaning the pipes is tiny if done with a little planning and right

I agree with Johneh, why heat up the outside air with your pipe? When the stove has run for a few hours, the pipe is hot, and if it's in your room, it's helping heat your room.

For cleaning the pipe, I turn my shopvac on and have the hose in one hand while I have the cleaning rod in the other.... you spill some on the floor, but it's not like it's wet manure, it'll sweep right up, especially off the concrete floor in your basement.

Another thought to consider is you may want to clean your pipe mid-winter. Do you want to lay on the floor of your basement to do it, or on the cold ground outside?

One very important comment: if you put it where the sewer drain pipe is.... get some kind of heat shield to protect that pipe. If the stove burns hot and runs for a while (which it will when you turn it on in the cold basement) your pipe might get warmer than it was intended to get.

Reactions: Washed-Up