Rookie looking for advice on wood furnaces/boilers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

charlatan33

Jan 31, 2015
U.S.
Greetings!

I recently purchased a 20 year old, 3,400 sq/ft two story house (+1,400 sq/ft basement) in Maryland. We have a dual geothermal HVAC system (one for the 1st floor and basement and one for the second floor). The problem is that both systems are shot and irreparable. I've had five different HVAC companies confirm this. A new HVAC system(s) at this point is out of the question because of cost. I guess that the positive is that the systems are forced air and the blowers still work.

My thought is to go with a wood burning furnace that can utilize the pre-existing duct work.

We have six acres of wooded land. The downside is that it is mostly pine--Virginia pine and loblolly. Many people have cautioned against burning pine, though a friend suggested that it's fine as long as I make sure that it's seasoned--and thus will take more time than hardwood.

Here are my questions:

1) Can i run a system just burning the pine, and if so, are there any drawbacks or precautions that I need to consider?

2) I assume a wood furnace would be the best as far as price and efficiency go. I have seen the Drolet Heatmax and Tundra, Kuuma Vapor Fire 100, PSG Max Caddy recommended on here. Any thoughts on what might be best in my situation? Does burning pine make the Kuuma more attractive?

3) What other things should I consider in this process?

Also, if I left out any important details, please let me know.

Thank you in advance!

I think the Kuma is a good choice, plenty of people burn pine, seasoned of coarse.....you could also go with and outdoor unit, but that really depends on your layout. What about weekends away, or longer?

I think the Kuma is a good choice, plenty of people burn pine, seasoned of coarse.....you could also go with and outdoor unit, but that really depends on your layout. What about weekends away, or longer?

Again, I'm new to this, but it seems that the outdoor furnaces don't seem to be too efficient and outdoor boilers are a bit more expensive. I'm trying to find that point of maximum efficiency and lowest price. I guess that most people are trying to do that, huh? Anyway, I'm waiting to hear back from an HVAC company, but it seems like the biggest problem will be finding a way to use one furnace for two sets of ductwork. I don't know if it's realistic to be able to connect them.

As for being away, we rarely spend time away during the winter. Our second floor system's emergency heat does work, FWIW.

Status
Not open for further replies.