Room fan did bog down with some grinding noise twice so far but runs normal otherwise...ideas?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Darkwing

Oct 11, 2018
New Jersey
Hello...
My Stove is now in the second season and my room fan started a seldom but strange behavior.
Some times on starting (when temp reaches its start command) it starts running and bogs down with a strange grinding noise but than recovers and runs great over the rest of the running period...
Yesterday, it did this also while being on for a good while already...almost sounds it gets hold somehow and nearly stops until it revs up again like there was nothing going on...
Is this my last season for that blower or are they simple to maintain/repair?

Sounds to me like the bearings in the blower motor are drier than a popcorn fart....:rolleyes:

2 years? You ever take the panels off and clean it in the back end? Every oil the bearings. I bet all your motor bearings (auger and combustion blower are loaded with dust and dried up as well. Even shielded ball bearings can dry up from the fine dust associated with bio fuel stoves.

I believe if you feel intimidated with taking the access panels off and inspecting the 'works', you need a service call and a professional to have a look see. if not, jump right in and oil them up (and clean it out too), I bet it's cruddy back there.....lol

As an aside, mine comes apart every year in the spring. It gets torn down, cleaned carefully, venting gets cleaned, firebox gets fogging oil, bearings lubed and it's ready to go the following fall.

Like the old saying goes 'it don't break in the barn'