Round flue to rectangular exhaust connection on Old Model buck stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hosheshi

Nov 22, 2020
Syracuse New York
Is the connection between a flue and a wood stove necessary even though there’s no draft because of the trim but noticed creosote on top of buck stove in the fireplace.

4C8BEDC7-2D30-4316-AA40-D2F5AA185D63.jpeg05D217F8-76F0-4C4E-AF9E-C5A76DF8339F.jpeg
here a picture before started using the buck stove. I also haven’t had the burn indicator pass the creosote section burning and warming up the living space pretty warm.1599B433-2105-44B7-9142-5489B550A541.jpeg

Is the connection between a flue and a wood stove necessary even though there’s no draft because of the trim but noticed creosote on top of buck stove in the fireplace.View attachment 267465View attachment 267466here a picture before started using the buck stove. I also haven’t had the burn indicator pass the creosote section burning and warming up the living space pretty warm.View attachment 267467View attachment 267467
Yes it is absolutely nessecary. Is that pipe an 8" stainless liner that runs out the top of the chimney?

Yes it is absolutely nessecary. Is that pipe an 8" stainless liner that runs out the top of the chimney?
[/QUOT
It is already set up, now im having trouble find the piece to connect the liner to the buck stove. Now I’ve seen these photos online that may help find the part but it seems like the liner is a rectangle itself.
E04EC44B-47B1-426B-BC55-C496D9635CBB.jpegDD507321-3BAF-4B4D-B523-6925F55AF37C.jpegD1B2F658-BAB8-4B67-8505-2A4794E359EE.jpeg

Here’s the link to the photos from the guys blog I found the lining from. https://www.younghouselove.com/fire-not-in-the-hole/

Any update on this?
Not sure what update you want. It is good that you have a full stainless liner from the stove to the top of the chimney but it needs to be hooked to the stove. And it probably needs to be pulled so the chimney and outside of the liner can be cleaned now because you ran it without it being hooked up

Not sure what update you want. It is good that you have a full stainless liner from the stove to the top of the chimney but it needs to be hooked to the stove. And it probably needs to be pulled so the chimney and outside of the liner can be cleaned now because you ran it without it being hooked up
How can I get it hooked up I’ve had a hard finding the correct piece, I found a piece that goes to a freestanding unit but I already showed you the piece that belongs in the furnace in the photos with the furnace but I can’t find it.
1F27A6FF-12E9-4681-8CDE-D6410C7EA115.jpeg29C2B1B2-A557-4F49-BBDC-939363A04E5B.jpeg1B051E91-5530-4786-ACE1-4B461848D320.jpeg

How can I get it hooked up I’ve had a hard finding the correct piece, I found a piece that goes to a freestanding unit but I already showed you the piece that belongs in the furnace in the photos with the furnace but I can’t find it.View attachment 267551View attachment 267552View attachment 267553
When I hook up old inserts with rectangular openings I typically fabricate a boot to make the transition. But I believe there are adapters made for buck stoves. Is the liner 8" and is it insulated?

Pre-EPA stove. Moving thread to the classics forum.

There was insulation then pulled it out in the hearth are but I couldn’t really tell in the chimney area.
Did you install the liner?

When I moved in it was already set up
Oh ok. Well at this point you burnt it unhooked long enough to make that mess on the stove. So you need to atleast have the space outside the stainless liner inspected to see if there is creosote there. If there is the liner needs to be pulled so it can be cleaned

Oh ok. Well at this point you burnt it unhooked long enough to make that mess on the stove. So you need to atleast have the space outside the stainless liner inspected to see if there is creosote there. If there is the liner needs to be pulled so it can be cleaned
Alright and now where can I find an boot that’s already fabricated for this fit?

Alright and now where can I find an boot that’s already fabricated for this fit?
I don't know. It is easier for me to just make what I need