RSF Focus 3600 experiences?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PDutro

Sep 26, 2021
Oregon
I’m looking at an RSF Focus 3600

Looking for input. 1,400 sq ft single level home. Would use for occasional supplemental heat and weekend fires, but want to have it as a backup for power outages.

Any personal experiences, I’d love to hear them.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I’m looking at an RSF Focus 3600

Looking for input. 1,400 sq ft single level home. Would use for occasional supplemental heat and weekend fires, but want to have it as a backup for power outages.

Any personal experiences, I’d love to hear them.

Thanks.
It sounds like the 3600 needs the gravity kits to convect the heated air out into the house, because there’s not a louver integrated into the body.

Does that sound accurate? Would that make it a less-than-ideal heat source during extended power outages? Without the blower operating how well could one expect the gravity kits to push heat out into the room as compared to an integrated convection design?

How well they work will depend on how unrestricted the design is. The less 90º turns the better.

For the gravity kits, I'm not certain they're needed. Sure, they will help, but in my experience with the Heat n Glo Northstar (slightly larger ZC fireplace), we were able to heat our 2400SF house (main floor + basement) entirely through radiant (?) heating. Our masonry around the fireplace would eventually gather a lot of heat and radiate for some time. No, it was not efficient compared to a stove or compared to using the fan on the fireplace, but it certainly worked for 6 months/year in Seattle.

I found the ducting to be junk. We tried to run it from the main floor to the basement with the little fan that was included in the ducting kit. Guess what? Heat doesn't flow down easily. In time, we just left our furnace fan on circulation mode 100% of the time and the main floor was about 2-3 degrees warmer than the basement, which was fine. If you duct going up, it will surely work better, but I'm not certain it's worth it.

FYI: I'm considering the RSF Focus 3600 up here in Canada. Hoping to find reviews/feedback.