RSF Opel 2 installation woes.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ndk1

Hearth Supporter
Nov 27, 2010
NB, Canada
Hello all, new to this forum so apologies if this has been already asked. Be warned, this is a long rant:)

Just installed my Opel 2 and just as any homeowner would do, I went through the manual in order to understand how to use it correctly. I have had experience with wood burning stoves in the past as I owned a Pacifica which was a great little insert but a bit too anemic in the heat production side.

Total cost: 7000$ . I have already paid 6500$ on it (thank God I didn't pay the full amount-bad experiences in the past). I installed it with an optional blower pipe and vent to heat the room just on top of where the unit is installed. When the installer left, there was no cover for the vent and IMO, it should be included in the price.

Here is my main question: The unit came with a fan speed controller for the main blower that wasn't installed. It's nowhere to be found in the manual, but it would be nice to have and since the sheetrock isn't installed in the room yet, now would be the time to install it. Does anyone really use this option or is it unecessary. I think it would be key in controlling how much hot air leaves the unit to0 heat up the room where it's located.

Now here is a list of what went wrong after I inspected the unit. Never trust an installer always inspect the unit yourself. It would be an ideal world if people installed everything perfectly and according to spec, but they don't.

The deflector rocks where not installed. Almost broke my fingers trying to install them myself. Man were they ever difficult to get in the provided supports and fit them properly. i'm sure I scratched the unit on the inside many times.
The installer used the left side of the unit to attach the pipe that leads to the second floor. I had cut thos hole bigger to create a box in order to stack some wood so that i wouldn't have to go outside every time I needed wood. In all the diagrams I've seen, the pipe is installed on the top of the unit.
The plate on top of the Opel 2 on the left side is bent. I know it can't be air tight, but there is a serious hole that would be detrimental to the efficiency of the unit since hot air will escape in be lost in the chimney. This is because he was standing on the unit to installthe chimney pipes.

Most importantly, when I was looking for the outside air intake, I doscovered that he hadn't installed a vent to suck in the air from the outside. This is key and is unnacceptable. So much easier to start a fire with cold air from the outside and I don't want to be burning already heated air from the room/house.

All in all, not very impressed and obviously, not paying the full amount for the installation was a good thing.

Thanks for reading my long rant. Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience with the installer. Sounds like the guy should be flipping burgers at MacD. I would never let an installer loose without first discussing what and how it will go.

Yes, the fan speed control should be installed. Did the installer wire in an on/off switch? I certainly hope so because you would turn the fan off when reloading the stove. The speed controller could simply replace the switch.

I would straighten the bent-up top as much as possible and then seal up any gaps with metal foil duct tape. Don't use duck tape!

I am an advocate for having an OAK installed but would advise that it have a positive shutoff so it can be closed off if/when the stove is not used in very cold weather.

Well, thanks for the response. Called the dealer and he was very surprised that these things occurred. Said that he would send the installer back again to fix my issues to which he was more than sympathetic.
Without being too cynical, I wonder if he would have given me the time of day if I had alreadypaid him in full (many people do this, surprisingly).

What is an OAK?

Thanks for the advice.

Cheers

OAK is a TLA for Outside Air Kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.