RSF Opel AP fireplace not heating like new.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
No idea never measured. Are you sure nothing got closed during the lasts cleaning . I read a post on here with a Opel, once guys Opel would not put any heat out of the louver. I guess his had a plate that closes off the louver when fire place isnt in use.
I was trying to find the post before I mentioned to better explain the scenario. But yes check it
I remember reading that as well, if i recall correctly it was down on the bottom somewhere. maybe remove the bottom louver and look for the plate

The only time I've had an issue with heat output is if I don't have the best wood supply (too wet, junk wood, not getting burning correctly) or choking down too soon. Keep in mind, I have the catalyst so I can monitor catalyst temperature. If my cat is between 350 (minimum allowable temp) and 600 I'm not getting nearly as much heat output. My install is a clean face kit so my blower has one speed, can't say whether or not my heat output from the vents is above the 150 degree temp you were seeing so I can't help there.

Reactions: jjfmetal
Here's the fire burning now. I'll post a picture of the baffle area after burning this morning.
Seems like kind of a small load of wood. Is it mild outside?

Reactions: jjfmetal
I say load that sucker up with wood and damper that thing down after about 20 min or so and see how hot she gets.
I tried this morning as jifmetal suggested and have some interesting results.
This morning we have a rather warm weather system that came in, so the results could be affected some, but I don't think a lot.
It was 58 deg outside this morning and 65 deg inside when I got up.
Attached are pictures of a thermometer I placed in the upper louver. This thermometer only has a scale to 220 deg, so what you see is the reading after the temperature has gone past 220.

08:03 is after I got a full box of wood burning with full damper and my blower fan at lowest setting.
08:25 is with the damper still at full, but the fan is shut off.
08:47 the damper is still full, but I turned the blower fan back on to low.

No photo, but now with only hot coals in the firebox the thermometer reads 212 deg with full damper and low blower.
The temperature in the house is 76 deg. Don't need any more wood.
When my temperature was at the highest, the underside of the mantel was very hot. Couldn't keep my hand there for an extended time.

My conclusion is that maybe I haven't been loading my firebox up as much as I should have to get the box very hot. I might not have a problem after all. The real test will be when we get our 20 deg AM temperatures again.

Lamar

Attachments

• DSCN0641.JPG
    DSCN0641.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 123
  • DSCN0656.JPG
    DSCN0656.JPG
    170.4 KB · Views: 124
  • DSCN0658.JPG
    DSCN0658.JPG
    170.4 KB · Views: 137