Rubbery membrane on bottom of "T" exhaust

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jslinger

Jan 1, 2013
Vermont
After last spring I attempted to clean the exhaust of my pellet stove. I had only used 1/2 ton, but thought I might as well do it anyway.
My exhaust goes up and out, so both 90* are inside the house.
I bought a 3" diameter brush, but couldn't get it past the 90* elbow. Any tips on how to get it all the way through would be appreciated.
I just pulled the cap off the bottom of the exhaust (where I assume the soot is supposed to collect after running a brush through. It was completely clean. I used a flashlight and mirror to look up inside the exhaust and there is a soft rubber membrane over the bottom, so the soot can't drop out. Is this supposed to be there? Or should I attempt to peel it off?
Thanks for the help.

Post a pick if possible. Leftover from install-glove etc?

I changed my 90 deg ell to 2- 45 deg ells so I could get the brush thru. worked for me but it did move the stove out a little more.

Status
Not open for further replies.