Running a Harman Wood Pellet Stove on Low Heat?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
On a Harman - What is Low Heat?

Is this the only stove where the top and sides get hot enough to burn your fingers?

I am testing out this Harman P61 now a P61a
Pics and detail on my stove. > https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/my-first-harman-what-color-is-it.108227/page-2#post-1439004

After startup I set the controls to the recommended settngs.

Temperature control to 78 Deg F
Feeder Rate knob on 4
Mode to Room Temperature between L and H

The room temp probe is plugged in but coiled up and not hanging down which maybe a big mistake?

Wow the heat gun at 12 inches away was reading 515 Deg F !!! This is great heat!
It was also sucking down the wood pellets.

I just tried these settings shown in pics below:

Temperature control to 72.5 Deg F
Feeder Rate knob on 2
Mode to Room Temperature on L

Now at 6 inches away I am reading 347.9 Deg F.
Pics below are at the above settings.

I did notice on these settings the fire is much closer to the auger and there is more ash on the edge of the burn pot.

I am burning CUBEX ! LOL I know they are Hot Pellets but I got 15 bags at $2 each bag!

Feeder Rate knob on 3

Then I uncoiled the room temp probe. The room temp probe started working and shut the stove down. LOL
Also the 1st time I tried to start the stove, I did not have any flue vent connected. It did not start! LOL

My question is:
How do I turn the heat down? What is the best way?

See pics below
Click to Enlarge:

Attachments

• IMG_0832.JPG
    IMG_0832.JPG
    202.5 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_0828.JPG
    IMG_0828.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_0829.JPG
    IMG_0829.JPG
    124.8 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_0831.JPG
    IMG_0831.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 196
On a Harman - What is Low Heat?

Is this the only stove where the top and sides get hot enough to burn your fingers?

I am testing out this Harman P61 now a P61a
Pics and detail on my stove. > https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/my-first-harman-what-color-is-it.108227/page-2#post-1439004

After startup I set the controls to the recommended settngs.

Temperature control to 78 Deg F
Feeder Rate knob on 4
Mode to Room Temperature between L and H

The room temp probe is plugged in but coiled up and not hanging down which maybe a big mistake?

Wow the heat gun at 12 inches away was reading 515 Deg F !!! This is great heat!
It was also sucking down the wood pellets.

I just tried these settings shown in pics below:

Feeder Rate knob on 2

Now at 6 inches away I am reading 347.9 Deg F.
Pics below are at the above settings.

I did notice on these settings the fire is much closer to the auger and there is more ash on the edge of the burn pot.

I am burning CUBEX ! LOL I know they are Hot Pellets but I got 15 bags at $2 each bag!

Feeder Rate knob on 3

Then I uncoiled the room temp probe. The room temp probe started working and shut the stove down. LOL
Also the 1st time I tried to start the stove, I did not have any flue vent connected. It did not start! LOL

My question is:
How do I turn the heat down? What is the best way?

See pics below
Click to Enlarge:

Turn the heat down with the temperature knob. The Hi-Lo knob only controls the distribution blower speed. Your feed rate is probably right where it should be. Mine are always set for 3 - 3.5

Reactions: gbreda
Turn the heat down with the temperature knob. The Hi-Lo knob only controls the distribution blower speed. Your feed rate is probably right where it should be. Mine are always set for 3 - 3.5

Thanks DAKSY

I may put a T-Stat on one leg of the room probe and set the temperature knob to 90. Then I can control the temperature with the T-stat.

In the meantime I will do what you said.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.