Running Chimney Pipe Through Corrugated Metal Roof??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dfoxhoven

Dec 22, 2020
Elizabethtown, Pa
Newbie here...I'm going to be installing a Wood Stove in my workshop. It's a detached garage and I'm insulating with 1" Insulation Panels the rafters in the garage, so the attic will be uninsulated. The roof is Metal Corrugated and I have a couple of questions. I know I can run Stove Pipe up to the insulation, but then I need to do double-wall through the insulation and up through the attic, do I have to do triple wall out of the roof or can I do double-wall? It's Selkirk double-wall I have, and just wondering if I have to buy Selkirk triple-wall to finish outisde? My second question is how do I seal around the chimey on the outside because the roof is corrugated? Thanks all in advance for any insight!!

Newbie here...I'm going to be installing a Wood Stove in my workshop. It's a detached garage and I'm insulating with 1" Insulation Panels the rafters in the garage, so the attic will be uninsulated. The roof is Metal Corrugated and I have a couple of questions. I know I can run Stove Pipe up to the insulation, but then I need to do double-wall through the insulation and up through the attic, do I have to do triple wall out of the roof or can I do double-wall? It's Selkirk double-wall I have, and just wondering if I have to buy Selkirk triple-wall to finish outisde? My second question is how do I seal around the chimey on the outside because the roof is corrugated? Thanks all in advance for any insight!!
First off it is against code to install a woodstove in a garage in the US. Many choose to do it anyway but be aware if there ever is a problem insurance probably won't pay.

For a chimney install like yours you need to switch to chimney pipe at the ceiling level. This can be double or triple wall class a chimney pipe. Double is a better product. You run that from that point out the roof to the required height. To seal the roof you use the flashing made by the manufacturer of the chimney system you choose

You could also check at a local shop that makes and sells corrugated metal. They often sell high temp rubber flashing boots made for such things. May or may not be cheaper than from the chimney manufacturer.

Selkirk makes a rubber boot flashing kit (JURBFK1) for corrugated roofs.

You could use rubber flashing. Or you could just cut metal flashing in and never have to touch it again. I replace lots of those rubber boots for people 5 years down the road when they leak.