Running electrical cord down ash dump?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

HarmanPellet2022

Jan 28, 2022
Massachusetts
Hello,

I have a Harman Accentra 52i insert, and I am hoping to hide the electrical cord. My best option is to run it down the existing ash dump of the firebox, which fortunately is not blocked by the insert framework. This ash dump runs into the basement within the cinder block wall, and leads to an interior clean out door.

2 questions:
1. For anyone who has done this, is any sort of conduit required for protecting the electrical cord?
2. Given that the cord is not THAT long, I suspect I will need to drill a 2" hole in the block wall in the basement a few feet above the clean out door, and have an electrician run an outlet next to it. Does that seem reasonable? If so, I will have an electrician do the work and confirm its up to code.

Photos below:

IMG_6935 (1).jpg IMG_6855.jpg IMG_5232.jpg

I don't think there's anything wrong with your idea, but since you're calling the electrician anyway why not just have them install an outlet in the back of the fireplace? That way you could install the insert and remove/unplug it if needed without having to fish the cord.

I had the exact same situation. However, I already had an outlet about 2 ft from the ash cleanout. I just went to the hardware store and got 25' of MC wire and installed an outlet box on one end and a plug on the other. Dropped the plug end down the ash dump, pulled it out the cleanout door and plugged it in.

The stove needs to be plugged in to an outlet accessible in the room the stove is in

The stove needs to be plugged in to an outlet accessible in the room the stove is in
So is my setup not correct? An outlet in the back of the firebox isnt exactly accessible. I just did what the installer said he was going to do. I want a legit setup

So is my setup not correct? An outlet in the back of the firebox isnt exactly accessible. I just did what the installer said he was going to do. I want a legit setup
Code doesn't allow that so unless the harman manual specifically says it's ok it isn't allowed

The outlet in the fireplace is accessible by pulling the insert. It's just like putting an outlet behind a refrigerator.

Reactions: Sparkey127
My electrician friend (in Mass) said running armored cable up from the basement and putting a metal box in the back of the firebox to plug in to is fine. I have also seen it done this way by other electricians (also in Mass).

Ken

I couldn't imagine that MC cable wouldn't fit the bill.

I just had my Harman Accentra 52i installed yesterday and ran into the same problem. I was hoping to do the same setup that I did with my Quadrafire insert by running the cord down the ash dump, but the cradle for the new stove would have pinched the cord and I didn't want to risk a short by having the cord damaged. For now the cord is routed outside of the fireplace until I can get an electrician in here to install an outlet in the back of the fireplace.

My electrician friend (in Mass) said running armored cable up from the basement and putting a metal box in the back of the firebox to plug in to is fine. I have also seen it done this way by other electricians (also in Mass).

Ken
This is the way it should be done..

Reactions: FramerJ and Mt Bob