Running electrical for blower unit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Aquaelvis

Mar 5, 2021
N Idaho
I’ve decided I need to run the cord for my blower down under the house. For my installation the cord going from the stove to the back wall would look tacky. (Seen from many angles) I just don’t want to do all this work putting in a stone wall and pouring my own hearthstones just to have an ugly black cord running to the wall. (And wire tied on a ball under the outlet as I have too much cord)
I have a good crawl space, lots of room and dry so plugging it in down there is not an issue. (Either hard wired in a junction box or to an outlet)

I can either cut the end off the existing cord and run a small diameter metal conduit up through the floor near one of the legs on the stove. Then I can run the cord down to that conduit and wired it up in the crawl space.
my concern in running it through a small conduit is the heat. I know you’re not supposed to run romex through conduit. I’m wondering if passing that sheathed cord through 1/2 conduit will cause heat issues.

The other option would be to run a larger conduit that would allow me to pass the entire plug through it and then plug it in to an outlet in the crawlspace. Obviously the increase size of conduit isnt the best option aesthetically. But I’m wondering if the larger diameter conduit would help alleviate any possible heat issues?

I tried to get some information from Pacific Energy but apparently they don’t return emails.

The conduit would pass through my raised hearth- 2 inch concrete hearthstone, half-inch cement board, half-inch plywood, then there’s an open space of about 9 inches then it would go through the floor into the crawlspace. So I’m guessing the conduit would only need to be about 15-16 inches long.

Here is a picture of what I’m dealing with. The stove will be centered on that bump out part on the right side. (That white thing and the box are the rubber molds for my hearthstone)
That is what the electrical needs to pass through. (Plus 2 inches for the hearthstones)

Attachments

• 25C5E05A-F264-4C70-9734-2F052BA4677C.jpeg
    25C5E05A-F264-4C70-9734-2F052BA4677C.jpeg
    173.2 KB · Views: 207
Here is a picture of what I’m dealing with. The stove will be centered on that bump out part on the right side. (That white thing and the box are the rubber molds for my hearthstone)
That is what the electrical needs to pass through. (Plus 2 inches for the hearthstones)
By code it needs to be plugged in and accessable in the room the appliance is in.

By code it needs to be plugged in and accessable in the room the appliance is in.
Well that was my original thought, I was going to put an outlet in the hearth, under the stove but could never get an answer on distances.
Obviously the blower has a cord and that cord it just inches from the stove... so does that mean the outlet could be as well?

I‘ve also considered putting the blower outlet on a switch in the house. That should count? At a minimum I was going to put that outlet on its own breaker so I could easily cut power should the need arise.

Well that was my original thought, I was going to put an outlet in the hearth, under the stove but could never get an answer on distances.
Obviously the blower has a cord and that cord it just inches from the stove... so does that mean the outlet could be as well?

I‘ve also considered putting the blower outlet on a switch in the house. That should count? At a minimum I was going to put that outlet on its own breaker so I could easily cut power should the need arise.
Technically no a switch wouldn't count but I personally would see absolutely no problem with it.

For me personally I'd cut the end off and run it thru 1/2" conduit as you outlined with a "service disconnect" AKA switch on the wall near the stove.
That said and I know I'll get flamed for saying it do it after the inspection. Where I am we don't have inspections. It's up to you to do it smart and right or suffer the results. I'm also in an area where we built a whole house on two inspections.

The power company wanted to see my breaker panels (400 A service) before they would energize them. Didn't care about a single thing after the panel.
The state requires a plumbing permit and sent a guy all the way from the Maine coast to do the rough inspection. He was a total A hole who accused me of using non licensed electricians calling them hacks and that was total BS as they have worked for me in MA for over 15 years at the time and they were all licensed and the company has done work in all 50 states.
Our payback was to have him return for the final inspection to count the toilets and sinks. LOL. That was a 5 hour driving day for I think $50.00

Mine drops down thru the ash dump then thru the block in the basement into a 4X4 box with a switch.
49D9DBCE-C1CF-441B-B591-D81197A3AFF7.png

• Haha
Reactions: Shrewboy