Running furnace on 12V battery

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JustWood

Minister of Fire
Aug 14, 2007
Arrow Bridge,NY
Last night winds really picked up and temp dropped 25 degrees in a couple of hours. We got a few inches of snow and around 9:00 the power goes out. The furnace was about 1/3 full and after a long day working in morn and hunting in afternoon I was dreading getting all dressed back up to go to the shop to get the generator. I always have a couple of fresh charged batteries in the mud room (just in case, with all the equipment I have) and I knew I had an inverter somewhere. Unplugged furnace from wall , into inverter and hook clamps of inverter to battery. Presto,,,,, temporary furnace power. Power was out for 3-4 hours and the battery/inverter worked great. I think I'll use this setup if the power is out for extended periods and not run generator all night, then during the day I can run generator to cool fridge/freezer ,run water pump, do laundry, etc, and recharge battery for following nights furnace power. It wood save a ton of fuel ,after all what do you need all that power for at night anyway.

Sorry guys posted in wrong room.

Status
Not open for further replies.