Running my Hastings on a thermostat?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brianxman

Sep 6, 2012
vergennes, VT
With the thermostat connected and calling for heat and the stove in T-Stat Mode, the pellet stove does not react (the power light blinks and remains on idle or setting 1), it still thinks the thermostat is satisfied even though it is 60 in the room and the t-stat is set to 80. I have tested the thermostat by checking the continuity when it is calling and that is working, how do I test the thermostat circuit in the control board? I am using a honeywell programmable thermostat. I have tied 2 different themostats with the same results.

Did you change the t-stat mode switch on the stove and make certain that the connection is actually being made on that end and that the wiring is fine and that the battery is the one the t-stat maker says to use?

I you twist the stat wires together at the stat end, will the stove run then?

If I take the thermostat out of the loop and jumper the black and red thermostat terminals on the stove that should get it running.. right? The stove works great in manual mode. But in the two thermostat modes it does not. If I take a reading with an DMM at the terminals on thestove what should I get?

Maybe 5 volts ....

But jumping the t-stat connections and setting the stove to a t-stat mode and turning it on should start it up to the heat setting you have it set to.

Now at the t-stat you need the wires on the Rh and W terminals and the t-stat set for heat only.

Don't know if this is the same for this stove, but typically on the Englander's, you need to have the stove shut off, then connect the t-stat, turn the stat up past room temp so you hear it "click", and then go hit the on button on the stove......once the stove starts, then the stat will run it no problem.

I will give that a try, everything seems connected corectly. I was running it last night in t stat mode with the thermostat as high as it would go and measured the continuity at the stove so I know that it was calling for heat. Does the power light stay blinking all of the time while in this mode? or only when the it thinks the heat is satisfied? Mine blinks constantly while in t stat mode. This does not seem like it should be too hard to figure out, I am an electronics Technician and am very comfortable probing through the controller board if I had the schematics. I just want to confirm that all of the simple things are not overlooked. Thanks for the help

The controller should give the same indication it does when in manual mode when the stove is off as far as the light between the auger button and power button when in low mode and be on solid when the t-stat calls for heat.

The auger light should blink all of the time in t-stat mode.

Now it is not unknown for the switches on the controllers to not always be aligned with the panel such that they actually are where you think they are. Do not attempt to check this possibility out without the stove being off, cold, and unplugged.

To rule the t-stat completely out disconnect the wire at the t-stat and short the ends together, the stove should go to high heat mode (that is the rate you set on the controller, the firing rate should then follow any change to it that you make at the controller).

Status
Not open for further replies.