Running two stoves at once

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

simple.serf

Feeling the Heat
Dec 7, 2011
Sherman, NY
Hey guys and gals,it's been awhile.

As some may remember,I have an Enerzone 2.9 that we have been using to heat 2100 sqft for the last 7 seasons. We typically go through 12 face cords a year, which amounts to half of a log truck load. I stay 2-3 seasons ahead and typically burn around 18-21%. This has worked well enough, with the upstairs of our raised ranch being a little on the cool side. I had always planned an putting in a Varm or a Garn whenever I built a new shop.

Fast forward to last winter early spring and, due to some medical issues we need to both keep the house warmer and spent the $ that was being saved for a boiler. What I am now considering is adding another stove in our living room upstairs, in addition to the one in our family room downstairs. My question is to those who run multiple stoves, how much more work do you find tending two stoves?

I would probably put in another Enerzone of some type, possibly a 1.8 instead of the 2.9. My wife is the primary operator, and I want the operation of the two units to be the same.The stove we have has served us very well, and my local dealer is amazing.

Thoughts? Ideas?

I thought about an Ashford 20....

My dealer also sells Buck, they make a couple of nice cat stoves too. That's not a bad idea.

'Work' is a pretty subjective term. I run two stoves whenever we are below freezing. And often a third one in my shop. I don't find it difficult at all.

For me, 2 stoves is tough.

It's just me. and the 13 with a max burn time of 5 hours made for a lot of cold starts at that end of the house.(off set ranch). I wasn't happy with that at all. (should have bought a bigger stove IE a 30, lesson learned)

This year, I set the T Stat to 55F, and am letting the OB do the work.

Get the biggest stove you can, if you go ahead, and keep in mind the additional firewood consumption..

I would love to run two stoves at once in my house and be able to totally disregard the natural gas furnace. But at the price point for my one stove plus install, it wouldn't make sense.

I ran two in my old house and have 2 now. It's not that big of a deal but takes time to get used to it. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Sent from my SM-G900R6 using Tapatalk

Interesting thread.

I may be attempting a two stove adventure when temperatures fall. I am presently having installed a Pacific Energy FP25 in my living room. The 30NC doesn't keep up well when it's cold outside, and I wanted a fireplace in my living room. Not sure how well the FP 25 will keep up when it gets cold, or how cold the (uninsulated and 2/3 underground) basement when daytime highs are below freezing.

I wonder though if you would be better served by adding a few electric baseboards or something like that for supplemental heat. My desire for a fireplace in the living room was aesthetic, I like sitting in front of the fire. If I was looking at it from purely a cost standpoint, I would continue to simply kick on the electric baseboards when the stove wasn't quite keeping up. It will take me a whole lot of electric bills that are only 50-75 degrees lower to cover what even a new stove+chimney+install would cost.

Last edited:
I run 2 stoves a pacific energy summit insert upstairs and a kuma sequoia in the finished basement. Unless it is below freezing both stoves going at once is almost to much heat. But keeping both stoves going is not difficult the kuma gets a little longer burn times than the summit. But having plenty of wood seasoned and a good schedule it's not bad. Other than wood being used faster I don't notice much of a difference.

I run a PE summit in the basement (well insulated) and a masonry heater on the 1st floor. Unless it gets below 0 F, I really don't have to push either one. Even then, my wife likes to keep the house in the mid 70s, so we could probably burn a lot less wood if we kept the house at a more normal temp!

Reactions: heavy hammer
Prof my wife is the same unless the house is 76 plus it's cold. I like to be warm but I don't get it, in the winter the house has to be as I said 76 or warmer. In the summer 72 to 73 which I think is freezing. But you know how that goes.

Reactions: Prof
I run a regency f3500 stove as a main heating 24/7. I have the regency ci2600 insert I’ll build a fire in the morning to take the chill out on the furthest room from the stove. Last year on Long Island NY did not really have any cold days (below 25) to run both 24/7. Not hard at all to operate, I would get a bigger stove use that stove as the main hearing fill it 12hr burn time I usually fill mine 6am and pm and then have your wife use the second has needed.

I also run two stoves but normally leave one to go out as we move from one part of the house to the other for the evening.

I'm in a similar situation but reversed. Stove on the main floor of a bungalow and considering something for the basement. Currently thinking of going the pellet route so I'm not carting wood down there and it's easy to turn on and off. It only needs to be warm down there after school and on weekends.

Thanks for the ideas, folks!

First step is going to be to talk with my stove/chimney contractor. I am tempted to put a BK where my enerzone is currently located, and then move the enerzone upstairs on a new chimney, though I think a smaller stove upstairs would be a good idea.

I live in Sherman, NY in a hayfield with high winds. Even with all new windows, doors, and more insulation, a tank of oil gets me 3 weeks in Jan/feb without wood. Electric is not an option... oil would be cheaper than heating with electric here.

Good for you running 2 stoves...that's dedication.