Rust an age old problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigrig

I was cleaning our Harmon Accentra, purchased Jan 2005, as the Slide Plate was making its high pitched squeak again. This is the 2nd time. The first as it was under warranty, the tech replaced it. This time I got my nose back there and found something more interesting, rust in the feeder box after I vacuumed the fines up.

I am using Clean Burn pellets mfg. in Tacoma, WA at Manke Lumber. What do you know about this rust in the feeder box? Is it from the moisture in the pellets and is it causing additional internal damage?

Also has anyone heard anything about the process of mfg or any problems with this brand of pellets, Clean Burn?

All pellets contain moisture - a ton at 6% moisture would contain 120 lbs of water.

In addition you have the usual moisture in the air, etc.

Steel and cast iron will rust, but the real question is whether the rust is "surface" or whether it is eating into the surface further. Surface rust can actually protect cast iron and steel....and usually does not go deeper quickly.

While some may have more technical answers to this question, my first suggestion would be to clean out the stove first thing in the spring, and apply either paint or a light oil to surfaces that are likely to rust. It is typical that more corrosion can occur off-season (in ANY heating appliance) than when the actual unit is hot.

Manke Clean Burn pellets burned pretty well in our Quad 1200i.

I would try spraying silicone on the slide plate at the start of the burning season and couple times during it to see if that cures the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.