Rust in pellet stove...........arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thankyou sir, the rain caps I've seen (online stuff) have screens so the critter issue hadn't come to mind.

A stove is a bit of an investment, once it starts to rust it'll only continue to get worse year after year.

For thoes that are considering the 40 watt light bulb, something to consider. Guys that weld like to keep the welding rods dry, ovens and such are available for this, some have gone the route of using an old refrigator and put a light bulb in it to keep things warm and moisture at bay. When the bulb burns out your out of luck, solution is a simple diode, radio shack has them for $1.50. Place the diode in the circuit and 1/2 of the AC sine wave is stopped. This makes the bulb burn at a slightly lower temp but extends the life considerably. The light out put is less than 1/2 the usual out put too. Might make the stove look like it's running?

slow-al said:
Whats this about sealing the exhaust, and if applicable the intake, during the off season?
Is rust the prime concern or are there other benifits?

Come on you guys that have had these things a while, share with the group.

I'd think if capping them off during the off season was recomeded there'd be more said on the subject, or the rain caps would be available with something for the summer months.

The end cap on my stove has a grill on it, but in the off season I block it off to keep the ornery bees around
here from making a new home in the vent during the summer.
They are attracted to it because the pipe is close to the ground and in the shade. (Basement install)

Closing it up also keeps out the humidity/rust out.

Status
Not open for further replies.