Q&A rust on insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

We purchased a lopi answer insert last february and have loved it, I wish I installed in sooner. Well, I just checked the insert in July and have found a small amount of rust on the unit. Is is above the door, right under the convection exhaust tube. Also, I lifted out the side panels and found a little bit of rust accumulating there as well.

Since the unit is only 7 months old, I am saddened, but determined to protect my woodstove.

I am thinking that I should sandpaper the rust off and then spray some stove-black paint on the area. For the back of the panel, I am thinking of sanding off the rust also, but putting on some wd-40 to protect it in the off season.

Has anyone else run into this? What did you do to get rid of this rust?

Answer:

Don't let a little rust on your stove sadden you too much. It is not unusual for small amounts of rust to appear on concealed areas of wood stoves, especially around the flue collar.

Sand or steel wool the rust and paint it with "Stove Bright" brand stove paint. Don't use any cheap pseudo stove paints from hardware stores. They are a waste of time. Forget about the WD-40. It can actually remove or loosen the remaining good paint.

BTW, if you do nothing and leave the rust there, the stove will still probably last 20 - 30 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.