Rust on top of fireplace insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bcemail

Nov 7, 2019
VA
We have what I'm assuming is an older fireplace insert, since it came with our house and looked to have been there a while. It is a Forester brand, but no idea about model. I noticed last night that there is some rust on the lip above the doors where it meets the back plate thing. Here is a picture. I worried that there is some kind of moisture behind there that's making its way through, but can't figure out a good way to see behind the plate or if there is even a way for water to get through there. I don't think those parts come apart, but haven't pulled on it too much. Seems like a random place to get rust, but maybe it just happened that way? Thanks for any help or suggestions!

We have what I'm assuming is an older fireplace insert, since it came with our house and looked to have been there a while. It is a Forester brand, but no idea about model. I noticed last night that there is some rust on the lip above the doors where it meets the back plate thing. Here is a picture. I worried that there is some kind of moisture behind there that's making its way through, but can't figure out a good way to see behind the plate or if there is even a way for water to get through there. I don't think those parts come apart, but haven't pulled on it too much. Seems like a random place to get rust, but maybe it just happened that way? Thanks for any help or suggestions!
You need to pull the insert out enough to see if it is hooked up properly with a liner running from it out the top of the chimney. And yes it is not uncommon to get water ontop of the stove like that. Especially without a properly installed and sealed liner system

You need to pull the insert out enough to see if it is hooked up properly with a liner running from it out the top of the chimney. And yes it is not uncommon to get water ontop of the stove like that. Especially without a properly installed and sealed liner system
Thanks I’ll take a look. How likely is it that pulling it out will pull the liner off or something? Guessing they had to have it pulled out to attach it so maybe there is some slack?

Thanks I’ll take a look. How likely is it that pulling it out will pull the liner off or something? Guessing they had to have it pulled out to attach it so maybe there is some slack?
Just pull it out enough to peek behind there with a light. If that pulls it off it wasn't attached right to begin with